Cabinet size for 10" speaker

What's Hot
 What are the dimensions for a speaker cabinet to take a 10" speaker?  Said cab is to be made from plywood and supplied unfinished.  I probably will paint it black.
I think I will use one of those circular plastic speaker grills, if you know of a supplier, please let me know their contact details and/or website.
 Thanks in anticipation.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    At least 10.5 x 10.5 inches
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3180
    edited January 2021
    The specs of the speaker will tell you the volume of the box it’s supposed to be in. If it’s a “known” Speaker then just grab some dimensions of a cab using it. 

Grab yourself a pile of sandwiches and large cup of coffee and google speaker cabinet design!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73108
    poopot said:
    At least 10.5 x 10.5 inches
    lol/wis :)

If it's for a guitar speaker, there's no hard and fast rule at all - as long as the speaker fits into it! I did once make a cab for a 15" speaker that was 16" square. It sounded OK, because the speaker was a JBL and so very scooped naturally - too much so really, so I wanted to make the cab very middy.

But in general I would avoid making it *too* small, and also preferably not square - these things can produce a very boxy sound. At a guess and from experience with a lot of different cabs, you're better off with a rectangular cabinet about 50% bigger than the speaker in one direction and maybe 25% bigger in the other.

Then the question is open or closed back... and how deep it should be. Usually I would say try to make it as deep as possible within reason, although probably not deeper than the speaker diameter and again not the same as either of the other dimensions. My preference is for a semi-open back, with the 'hole' about a third of the total area, if that makes sense.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I would use the Marshall 1912 dimensions, but make it 16/17% smaller to account for the speaker size difference.