Roger Waters - The Gunner's Dream from those new covid sessions

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Stunning.

Possibly his best song.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited January 2021
    Agreed. I'd say it's the emotional heart of his best, least compromised album, but that might be a step far for most.

I wanted to do this at an open mic a couple of years ago, but I didn't think I could make it through without my voice cracking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 683
    Saw this the other day, just brilliant!
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 406
    Belter.
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    I've heard Waters play this live, as well as Southampton Dock. I know that the Final Cut is a much maligned album, there is conjecture as to whether it should count as a Floyd album, but there are songs from it that stand up well, even today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I never liked the Final Cut, it was a BIG disappointment to me after the Wall. I didn't care for his solo career either, had 2 or 3 on vinyl before giving up.

As mentioned in my Final Cut thread a couple of months ago, I bought a CD and played it a lot. I finally got into it and recognised all the cool stuff in there. It wasn't the Wall, but it was its own thing. I'd say it's my 5th fave Floyd album now.

I'm beginning to think these days that I am long overdue a revisit to his solo stuff, I think I could find a lot to like in there. He's an amazing artist, a slightly annoying person but an amazing artist non the less.
    axisus said:
    I never liked the Final Cut, it was a BIG disappointment to me after the Wall. I didn't care for his solo career either, had 2 or 3 on vinyl before giving up.

As mentioned in my Final Cut thread a couple of months ago, I bought a CD and played it a lot. I finally got into it and recognised all the cool stuff in there. It wasn't the Wall, but it was its own thing. I'd say it's my 5th fave Floyd album now.

I'm beginning to think these days that I am long overdue a revisit to his solo stuff, I think I could find a lot to like in there. He's an amazing artist, a slightly annoying person but an amazing artist non the less.
    For me Amused to Death stands alongside any of the best Floyd albums. It's an album that as the years have gone by, its core messages seem to have, for me, grown in relevance. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    axisus said:

I would start with Amused To Death - I think it's his best, and the closest in overall vibe to the later Floyd stuff. Radio KAOS is the one I haven't really been able to get into - it's not terrible, I just don't find it very interesting.

I agree that he's slightly annoying and probably a difficult person to like, but that he's also an amazing writer - even if quite obsessed about particular subjects... but he says a lot about those, very powerfully.

Nick Mason's book about Pink Floyd has a lot of insights into his character which ring true even if Waters wouldn't necessarily agree!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Loved that - thanks for sharing.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    March said:
    For me Amused to Death stands alongside any of the best Floyd albums. It's an album that as the years have gone by, its core messages seem to have, for me, grown in relevance. 
    ICBM said:

I would start with Amused To Death - I think it's his best, and the closest in overall vibe to the later Floyd stuff. 
    Interesting, I've just checked and it's the one Waters album that I actually have on CD. I think I'll be sticking that on for my commute pretty soon ....
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12413
    Chuffola said:
    Loved that - thanks for sharing.
    Ditto
    axisus said:
    March said:
    ICBM said:

I would start with Amused To Death - I think it's his best, and the closest in overall vibe to the later Floyd stuff. 
    Interesting, I've just checked and it's the one Waters album that I actually have on CD. I think I'll be sticking that on for my commute pretty soon ....

Hope you enjoy. 'What God Wants Pt. III' features an absolute corker of a Jeff Beck guitar solo.