Mini project finished - for amp building

What's Hot
Greetings folks,
In my eternal procrastination for powering up my first amp kit build, ive spent half an hour putting together a filter capacitor discharge probe.
Following links from Rob Robinette's site, this is a 5W 2k resistor mounted on a bit of wood (good insulator) with wires attached to the resistor leads, to (hopefully) allow safe drainage of the big capacitors when working on the internals.

Not very exciting, nor aesthetically accomplished, but should be quite functional.

https://i.imgur.com/voGIxUJ.jpg

The amp gets powered up in the morning.

Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9784
    I assume there’s a croc clip for attaching to a ground at the end of the black lead?

It’s worth leaving a meter attached the first couple of times you do it - there’s nothing like seeing 400V drop down to single figures to show you that it’s safe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
    Yes, the croc clips for soldering on should be arriving today. 
    And also thanks for the advice re:metering. I have a couple heavy duty croc clips for the meter leads and spring-loaded component clips too.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • I've just made a snuffer using a length of bamboo ( 12 inches) -easy enough to drill through if needed. Used 2x 56K 2W resistors as per a well known American equipment supplier .. not quite ready to test but good idea re leaving the meter on to check.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1630
    Insulated screwdriver from cap +ve to chassis is quicker and more exciting!  (I don't do this......).