Question(s) on painting a speaker cab

A friend of mine has built an open backed speaker cabinet for me.  He used plywood and left it unfinished as I hope to paint it matte black.

What is the best way to go about this task?  A light sanding plus a primer coat, followed by finish coat?  I am a novice in this work so please chip in with your 'how it should be done' method.

Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    I used a textured paint that was designed for speaker cabs.  It is really durable and hard wearing.  I used DuraTex in the States, but I see there is something called TuffCab in the UK.  You use a textured roller for it and it was really easy and looks good.
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 434
    Rustins black woodstain.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4398
    Did you ever finish this? I've just done exactly the same thing. Even after sanding I did use some grain filler (Rustins) to get the paint to go down flat. I think the paint I used was also Rustins, matte black masonry paint (was the cheapest option on Amazon). I just slapped it straight on the prepped ply.

It looks lovely actually, one coat near enough did the job but two looks spot-on, very nice and even. I'm torn about the next stage which was to be a clearcoat of marine varnish (hence the "that'll do" masonry paint option!). I probably will do it because lockdown boredom :).

I really wanted to Tolex it, but I figured a good paint finish would be better than a bad vinyl one. Plus it's only going to be leaving the house infrequently so no real need for proper roadworthiness.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5041
    @randella, my friend gave me the cabinet a few days ago.  It is painted with a black undercoat.  The speaker works well with my Marshall MS-2, I fitted four small rubber feet and have ordered one of those circular speaker grills.  When/if that ever arrives, from China probably, I will think about giving it another coat of paint.  But it looks surprisingly good as is so when the grill is fitted, it may be left as it is now.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• randellarandella Frets: 4398
    Ah ok, saved you a job by the looks of it. Good work by your friend there. I ummed and ahhed about one of those circular grilles, in the end I went for a sheet of perforated aluminium. Hermes gave it a good kicking on its way over, so that took a while to flatten.

Anyway gives me something to do with my lockdown I guess! I have a Neo Creamback in mine, it sounded ace before I took it all apart again for finishing so I'm looking forward to getting it sorted.