Body wood comparison

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8852
edited January 2021 in Making & Modding
It's always interesting when someone tests things. This is the same guitar with different bodies, one swamp ash, and the other OSB. You can see that the neck is the same one. The hardware was apparently swapped between the two bodies too. There's an obvious tone difference, and I definitely prefer the fuller sound of the solid body, but its not that great a difference.

I didn't want this to become another tonewood debate, so I've posted it in Making and Modding.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Is there a link? 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Can’t hear any difference myself! ;)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19437
    See no comparison, hear no comparison...  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Roland said:

I didn't want this to become another tonewood debate
    You've definitely gone about this the right way. 
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    One is more haunting than the other, no? 
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    Link reinstated
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    Anyone can use whatever they like, it's just wood not tone wood

I'm more interested in sustainable lightweight woods lately, my latest obeche body LP shape weighs a massive 3.68lb with more to come off, can't wait to try it
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1814
    I like the Fender custom shop videos when they did the cardboard and steel strats think someone did a concrete Strat and 3D printed as well. 

The good news was they all sounded like Strats lol

i love a nice bit of wood but ultimately it’s impact with electrics is often less audible than  changing to a different type of pickup.

butlike all things play what makes you happy

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    A lot, if not most of, the tone comes from your fingertips.
    I can make a £5000 guitar sound just as shit as a £50 guitar.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    It must have been really annoying to keep swapping over all the parts between takes. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    I used to have a reconstituted marble Strat body... I could only play it for 15 mins at a time due to the weight but it sounded great
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
    I can't watch right now, as at work, but I'd like to see a comparison between different woods for the body with the same neck/electrics swapped between them. But in an effort to introduce a control, or at least highlight the importance of visuals, I would have the sound file swapped too without informing the viewer, to see what impact the eye's have on ones assessment of tone.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    As somebody who definitely believes the materials used are important in the final tone of an electric guitar, I would still struggle to claim body wood made more than 5% difference to the tone of the guitar... I doubt it's  that much.  I think necks make more of a difference, but I'm still not claiming it would be night and day in a neck swap test.

Pickups will always have the most impact, closely followed by scale length.... always pays to focus on the string and pickup first as they are literally the driving force in the tone of an electric guitar.

So the vid.   They both sound like guitars.  They both sound like similar guitars, which makes sense since so much of the spec is identical.   There is a still a clear audible difference... not a massive one  but definitely a clear one.   The OSB body definitely pushes the normal teleness closer to the uncomfortable for my ears, I don't like its brashiness.... but it still sounds like a guitar.

The difference may be controlled with different EQ, gain, band settings... its even possible the OSB one could work better in some situations.

I'm gonna keep using wood that sounds resonant when I tap it ;) 

Although I did know I guy who did a carved top OSB guitar  and it did look amazing when carved through all those random wood chips. 

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1105
    I always find it baffling how some builders state that "build for tone" they must be clairvoyant TBH, becuase i can made a guitar sound different by just changing my pic...infact just changing the tip of the pick your using to attack the string or the postion of your picking hand or how about i just use my fingers.....how the "build for tone " guys can take those factors into account is beyound my mortal understanding

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    As long as it looks cool and fits the image you are going for it's all good. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    Gizmo said:
    I always find it baffling how some builders state that "build for tone" they must be clairvoyant TBH, becuase i can made a guitar sound different by just changing my pic...infact just changing the tip of the pick your using to attack the string or the postion of your picking hand or how about i just use my fingers.....how the "build for tone " guys can take those factors into account is beyound my mortal understanding

Sure, but the tone is not purely decided by the way the guitar is played.  Technique is part of it, but this is a discussion about the equipment used.  One does not rule out the other.