PLEK setup - any experience? What to expect........

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 860
So my main guitar is still my old Highway One strat - it`s the only guitar I have that has sentimental value, and whilst I have more expensive and technically better guitars, this is the one I`d never get rid of.

It`s been played alot as you can see from the condition, and upto lockdown it was the main house guitar at our weekly Jams. 

Currently overdue a good setup, and having tried locals it`s been packaged up and couriered to Charlie Chandler for a full going over and PLEK. 

Quite excited really - anyone else had this done?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Yes, many times on various guitars and always by Charlie.  He was involved with the development of the Plek machines/software so has been using them for a long time.  Always had a good result when I've taken guitars to him.
  • No idea, but that looks absolute awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Yes, many times on various guitars and always by Charlie.  He was involved with the development of the Plek machines/software so has been using them for a long time.  Always had a good result when I've taken guitars to him.
    Ah- didn`t know he was involved in the development - thanks

No idea, but that looks absolute awesome. 
    Cheers - I go round and round with gear, but always end up back in the same place! :-)
  • What will be done on the plek - fret level? Nut heights too? 
  • Recently had my '57 AVRI Strat done and it's come back playing beautifully. It wasn't necessarily a bad player before, but it plays nice now and I'm very happy! Charlie was cool guy to deal with.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    What will be done on the plek - fret level? Nut heights too? 
    Whatever`s needed in this case I think. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    The same and I think Charlie keeps a record of it and so if it goes back or if you have other guitars and are looking for something similar, he can reference it.

You're in good hands :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794

For a while I had a Gibson ES-339 which had been Plek'd (they were doing that as standard on some models for a while, I don't know if they still do).

It felt fine, but subsequently Jon at @FelineGuitars did a bit of setup and fret dressing on it and it felt noticeably better.

I'm not saying Plek is rubbish or that you shouldn't bother, I'm sure you'll be pleased, but it doesn't render the human touch obsolete. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

For a while I had a Gibson ES-339 which had been Plek'd (they were doing that as standard on some models for a while, I don't know if they still do).

It felt fine, but subsequently Jon at @FelineGuitars did a bit of setup and fret dressing on it and it felt noticeably better.

I'm not saying Plek is rubbish or that you shouldn't bother, I'm sure you'll be pleased, but it doesn't render the human touch obsolete. :)

Yes - I`ve read the same. I think it`s a combination of man and machine, where the man still needs to be pretty handy! 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    My  from new Gibson Midtown came plekked and I must say its a superb player .A really low action which I like ,on light strings and no buzzes or rattles.
  • When I lived in Germany I had a number of guitars plekked at Kühlo Guitars, which was attached to the Plek premises. Very happy with the results.

That said, they said to me that the machine was only as good as the person using it and how well prepped the guitar was i.e. the frets need to seated properly and the relief adjusted correctly, which goes some way to explaining why a lot of plekked Gibsons are pretty underwhelming.

However, although I think plekking can be a good thing, in most cases (where there isn’t some sort of abnormality of the neck/fingerboard that requires frets to be precision dressed to slightly different heights) a good luthier can do at least as good a job.
  • I was disappointed with the Plek job on a CS Strat that Chandlers did. I had a luthier look over it later and he did a much better job.. I may have just been unlucky..
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    I’ve tried a few Plekked LP’s that have not been up to expectations. 
    I did have a PRS Cu24 Plekked by Chandlers and it transformed the instrument. I was beyond impressed with it when it came back. 
    The only downside really is shipping it there. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    I’m thinking of getting my LPC refretted, so I may give them a call again. 
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 453
    yes, Charlie has plek'd quite a few of my guitars and they always come back great
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    edited January 2021
    He plek'd my LP custom after a refret and it was/still is great. All I'd say is that my jumbo frets I'd had fitted weren't as jumbo after it was done..
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Sounds like a crazy idea. How much does this service cost?
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    £150 + courier both ways
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited January 2021 tFB Trader
    I looked at it a few years ago and was fascinated by it, and seriously considered it because of the RSI it could lessen from crowning frets. 
    I had a long discussion with Dan Erlewine, who at the time had long term loan of one , but also developed the Erlewine Neck Jig that we use. Dan felt it was really good , but a skilled luthier with a neck jig would get equal results which was of interest.
    I can see how useful they are in a factory setting where you can ensure consistent results guitar after guitar.
    But one thing that Charlie was quick to point out is that as someone has already said, you need a skilled tech as well to "humanise" the Plek process and do a bit of final finessing. And certainly Charlie has that skillset too.
    We have seen too many guitars that had been factory Plekked but had no TLC after that and they could feel a bit scratchy.

I still find the machine fascinating , but the sheer cost of purchase plus the maintenance contract costs plus the % you pay per job you use it for made me decide to forego having one .....we just have several neck jigs we can use.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Well arrived back by courier today - great job.

Plays really well and very happy with it!