Gear4Music damaged SubZero 8 string fan fret - Lockdown project - Opinions needed!

What's Hot
TL;DR: Bought a cheap damaged guitar for a lockdown project. Fixed it too quickly and need some opinions on what to do with it outside of a pickup change.

I've got my hands on a damaged SubZero Generation Pro Fanned Fret 8-String from ebay as a lockdown project: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/SubZero-Generation-Pro-Fanned-Fret-8-String-Guitar-Grey-Tide-Fade/33SF

It arrived with the pickup screws threaded and a big ding on one of the horns. I managed to extract and replace the screws and because the ding was on a clear lacquer natural wood part of the horn just sanding it down and oiling it took it to "only notice it if you look for it" status. The big problem was I wanted it as a lockdown project and given that it was 1/3rd of the price I thought "damaged" meant more than 15 mins of work to getting it back to almost new. So it's time for mods.

Pickups: After considering the usual 8 string candidates (Fishman, SD, BKP) I ended up emailing Mike at Gemini Pickups and with his help decided on a set of Gemini Nemesis - https://www.geminipickups.co.uk/7-8-string-humbucker/nemesis ; I will be putting push pull vol/tone knobs in for coil tapping. I'm really excited about these. Not only are they made to order pickups but I can support a small business during lockdown, which is always good.

This is where I need some opinions. What else can I do to it?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Bigsby.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    In all seriousness, how about a refin? Looks to be a pretty top and headstock veneer. 
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    Put some lights up the middle and leave it on the ground north of Heathrow?

:)

I think for me, the answer would have to be "learn to play it"...

The only thing that really occurs to me is that the front strap button mounting looks extremely dodgy - there's nothing to stop the screw being bent sideways, which could well snap it off, and the horn is thin enough that into endgrain, splitting the wood is a possibility too. I'd be inclined to fill and touch up the hole, and move the button to the back roughly where the 12th fret is pointing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14827
    Might be worth adding a flip-over mute device at the nut end. With this engaged, you can try two-handed tapping playing techniques. 

If I were in a mean mood, I would suggest sending it for conversion to "wide five string" by Shh, You Know Who? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    That looks done, tbh.

Get a new project, eg. buy a Strat body and then figure out what to do with it.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Fret dress ?
  • Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I am going towards being glad that I got a good deal on it and playing it as suggested. I'm having a look at Tosin style selective picking and buy a velcro/foam mute while learning how to play it. The guitar is balanced so I'm wary of moving the strap pin and the frets are ok.

I was seriously looking at the refinish option. I had colours and methods all picked and was about to order stuff. Something told me to take the neck off to check the woods and it turns out the "top" on the guitar looks less than 1mm thick. I'm not sure if I've got the ability/talent to sand off the thick poly finish and keep the veneer to the level where I can consistently stain the body. I could give it a go and if I chuff it up then I could go for a solid finish.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Maybe play it ? ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I'd just get on with trying to play the thing!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119
    Add active EQ
    Bass, treble volume 

I reckon you need a lot more control with ERGs
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    Mr_Orange said:

The guitar is balanced so I'm wary of moving the strap pin
    In that case I would replace the size of screw it almost certainly has with a *much* larger and longer one - about the size of a neck bolt screw, if you can. You may have to drill out the button for this, and you will definitely need to drill the body - make absolutely sure the drill is aligned correctly so the screw travels as close to exactly down the middle of the horn as possible.

There is a genuine risk of something bad happening if it has the size of screw I think it does. Most accidents I see with instruments falling off the strap and getting damaged are actually to do with undersized screws pulling out of the wood than with straps coming off buttons, these days - most people know to use straplocks or rubber washers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Mr_Orange said:

The guitar is balanced so I'm wary of moving the strap pin
    In that case I would replace the size of screw it almost certainly has with a *much* larger and longer one - about the size of a neck bolt screw, if you can. You may have to drill out the button for this, and you will definitely need to drill the body - make absolutely sure the drill is aligned correctly so the screw travels as close to exactly down the middle of the horn as possible.

There is a genuine risk of something bad happening if it has the size of screw I think it does. Most accidents I see with instruments falling off the strap and getting damaged are actually to do with undersized screws pulling out of the wood than with straps coming off buttons, these days - most people know to use straplocks or rubber washers.
    I took your advice. It was a 25mm screw and I've replaced it with a 40mm screw.

• Had an email from Gemini Pickups yesterday that the pickups have been shipped. Super quick turnaround. I reckon that they will be delivered before the push pull pots I ordered.