Stripping finish off a flamenco guitar

What's Hot
I’ve acquired a 70s Admira flamenco with a cracked top. Fixed the top very nicely but now it’s time to address the finish. I’ve considered stripping off the finish and oiling/waxing it. Anyone know what the finish is likely to be so it’s easy as possible to remove.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16999
    Really hard to be sure what finish it is, you can try thinners first to see if it budget it... if not its likely for g to need to be sanded.

Do not use the heat gun method on anything acoustic!!   Also be wary of sanding through veneers if its laminate.

Oil and wax on a spruce soundboard can deaden it a bit, at least for a while.   It should liven up again eventually though, just don't be surprised if it sounds dull for a bit.   Think it might be the high resin content of spruce slowing the cure of the oil, or something like that 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited February 2021
    I don't know what your guitar is finished with . You can try dissolving a tiny spot with methylated Spirits . If yes , it's French polish . If no ,it is probably cellulose  . You need cellulose thinners to test  for that. If it's French polish you can clean it off  with wire wool and  methylated spirits . Cellulose is harder to remove easily .  Gently and slowly sanding it off is the best bet. You should use the best quality abrasives  , fine and  washable , but don't get the guitar wood  wet . Personally, I wood rubdown the damaged area and  refinish with  what ever you believe the original to be. Not going to look like new , but that doesn't bother me .       
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom