Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Red String - Liverpool

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4699
edited February 2021 in Guitar
Has anyone had any dealings with them?  There's a guitar I fancy but I can't help feeling that there's something not quite right.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 970 five star reviews?
    what's the concern?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    BlueStrat said:
    970 five star reviews?
    what's the concern?
    They must have a good turnaround to pay for that many reviews
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • demby236demby236 Frets: 13
    edited February 2021
    I have submitted numerous sensible near offers on used pedals pedals which have either been dismissed very bluntly or totally ignored. On every occasion I have noticed he still has said pedal available 9 months later...

That's not to say untrustworthy but certainly odd.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    The guitar he's selling is insanely cheap for what it appears to be.  Check it out

I can figure out where it's come from but new these are £2K plus....

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    rlw said:
    The guitar he's selling is insanely cheap for what it appears to be.  Check it out

Brave man putting the ad on here.
    Plenty of flippers trawl this site now.
     If it is what it says it is it will be gone by the end of today .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mark123 said:
    rlw said:

That's my point...................
  • I bought a guitar from Red String about two years ago.  It was in unmarked condition as described and all went very smoothly.

rlw said:
    mark123 said:
    rlw said:

That's my point...................

had another look ,
    Im not saying its fake , i'm no expert .
    Looking at the Reverb ad pics , it looks a gloopy gloss chinese finish not a thin laquer finish.( it may be the camera flash / lighting)
    The made in japan stamp is white ? never seen that , and the 2 hole trussrod cover could just be a 2 hole with a screw in the top and a superglued head in the bottom , the laquer stickered scratchplate could be just a add on .
    As i said earlier i could be a mile off and this could be a cracking bargain for someone.

• Not conclusive but the bridge posts are not what I’d expect on a cheap Chinese LP type. Also the plain top - cheaper copies tend to go for gaudy veneer.
    Not conclusive but the bridge posts are not what I’d expect on a cheap Chinese LP type. Also the plain top - cheaper copies tend to go for gaudy veneer.
    As i stated i'm no expert ,just what i see when looking at the pic's the top looks far too gloopy/ glossy to me.
    The truss rod cover is correct. I’ve checked the Tokyo site.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22908
    rlw said:

I don't know about the prices but it is a cherryburst, that might put a lot of people off...

It definitely looks like a genuine Japanese Tokai, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say if it's a high-end one.

• I would be more tempted if the description was less flowery (aka written in English). Might be a bargain but needs further enquiries IMO.
    edited February 2021
    Just looked at a Tokai laquer series196 on e bay and another for sale at fretsguitarcentre.

Both have a faded or nickel finish on hardwear not shiny chrome.

Both headstocks have "reborn old " on the headstock  ,this one has" love rock" .

The truss rod can easily be done by screwing the top screw in and cutting the head off the bottom screw and superglueing it in position.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-PREMIUM-SERIES-LS196-/184639150466

https://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p3916_Tokai-LS196-EF-Relic-'Old-Reborn'---Vintage-Lemon-Drop.html

I'm not on a witch hunt just don't want to see somebody get ripped off .
    edited February 2021

But here is the very guitar - complete with shiny chrome and Love Rock.  It's confusing and I have decided to pass. And Made in Japan in white............

I think that those two are probably official "relics" but who can say.

My feeling is that if he can't sell it at this price, there's an issue and that would come back to haunt me if/when I tried to sell it.
    If you buy over the internet from the shop ( all you can do atm)  you have the right to return no questions asked.
    So you could purchase it give if the once over ,if its a no send if back .
    This started off as a plan to get a very light burst or a goldtop to put some HB sized P90s in but I have been sidetracked by this one which is the wrong colour but an apparent bargain.

I think I shall just look for a decent goldtop and have done done with it.
  • I bought a Cioks power supply from Red String. It arrived promptly, seemed brand new and had everything with it. Works perfectly. 

I was a bit sceptical at the time too, considering it was a bit cheaper than all the regular shops were asking. I did send a message to check it was brand new and to ask how they were sourcing the products but received no response. In the end I concluded that most of their products (pedals at least) seem to be boxed etc, so I figured they weren't from pedalboards nicked from tour vans or stages. Perhaps more likely to be bankrupt stock, or a mate of a distributor maybe??! 

This purchase was a few months ago and it looks like they continue to get good reviews from buyers although it's interesting to hear that others here have had no response to some messages too. 

A guitar at about 10 times the cost of my psu is a rather different matter! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22908
    On the "Reborn Old" and "Love Rock" thing, don't they produce slightly different models for different markets?  I think the ones Faber used to have were "Reborn Old".  And I don't know if it's still the case, but for a time the ones imported into the UK had to have a slightly modified - non-Gibson - headstock shape.