Three Headstock Decals - Finishing

I have three new Strat necks 

Two are Warmoth Polyurethane 
The third is Tru Oil finished.

I would like to apply decals and then finish the headstock faces. 

But what would be my best option please?

Polyurethane Aerosol Spray?
Nitro Aerosol Spray? (won’t the headstock then age quicker than the rest of the guitar?)
Something else?

I’ve been toying with the idea of buying an airbrush, but I’ll never use it ever again once these necks are finished...

I’m really confused - Most grateful for your expert advice...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16999
    Are you after any tint?

It's an easy low wear area to finish with spray cans whatever is in them. I wouldn't bother with an airbrush.

Personally I don't mind of the headstock face ages differently to the rest of the neck.   Fender carried on using nitro for headstock faces after they had changed the lacquer for everything else, apparently due to decal issues.  Look  at 70's fenders and it's not uncommon to see a darker headstock face because of this.

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 853
    No tint required @WezV ; - they are already the colour I want them to be.

I'm a little worried about spraying something that will possibly destroy the Warmoth Poly finish underneath - that would be a nuisance...

The Tru Oil one, I'm not too bothered about, since I applied the Tru Oil myself. I'd be happy to apply the tru oil by hand, but worried that the ink on the decal will run...

I do wonder why decal makers don't print on the undersurface of the decal paper (makes applying any finish over it much easier).
    edited February 2021
    Okay, so go for a clear acrylic or poly lacquer rather than nitro 

Very little will destroy the warmoth poly, just key it ready for the new lacquer

I don't like lacquer over tru-oil as said in the other thread.  I would sand back to bare wood and just use lacquer for the headstock.    This is one I might use nitro on as both tru oil and nitro add a slight tint... but I wouldn't buy a can of nitro specifically for it.

I just did one that is nitro and osmo oil  and its a good match for now, but I do expect the headstock will darken quicker 

The decal paper itself will crinkle under a heavy coat of lacquer,  not just the ink on it.
    edited February 2021
    WezV said:
    Okay, so go for a clear acrylic or poly lacquer rather than nitro 

Very little will destroy the warmoth poly, just key it ready for the new lacquer

So there's no real advantage in using a polyurethane aerosol spray, just 'cos the Warmoth necks are already poly? An acrylic based spray is just as good? That's great news since I have one of these...
    https://i.imgur.com/wsuWIu8.jpg

But I had been thinking of buying this - but is there any advantage?

You can test a bit on the heel of the neck if you are unsure, but I expect it will be fine for this purpose.
    Thanks @WezV  - that’s a great idea, I I shall do that