Modulus Tweed Deluxe

Been a busy couple of weeks!
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2395
    Nice work! Is it all up and running?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 456
    Thanks not yet, going to test it tonight, the eagle eyed might spot the missing connecting lead between pins 8 of the output valves, I nearly missed this off but spotted when double checking everything!!!
    vanlooy1 said:
    Thanks not yet, going to test it tonight, the eagle eyed might spot the missing connecting lead between pins 8 of the output valves, I nearly missed this off but spotted when double checking everything!!!
    No I didn't spot that - I'm saving my eagle eyes for checking my own build this afternoon!
    Haha, looking forward to the update, yours looks great!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Looks good...

you may want to move that cathode resister off of those wires going to pin 6!!!!

or get a physically smaller sized resistor that’ll clear the wires!...

Thanks for the heads up, there is about 5mm clearance and still some play in the legs so probably give it a bit of push!
    Keefy said:
    It works!
    vanlooy1 said:
    Keefy said:
    It works!
    Yay! Turn it up and enjoy...
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1558

Excellent work - much neater than my first attempt!

Any pictures of the final amp in its case? How straightforward did you find the wiring? And most importantly, what will be your next build?

Adam

Thanks, I’ve built a couple of these now, this one is for a friend who’s bought one of those Juketone cabs to put it in. Wouldn’t mind trying a Marshall JTM type build next time.

The build I have just completed (tfb thread to be completed!) was a Modulus Black Flag kit, a JTM circuit. Unbelievably loud, with beautiful cleans.

Adam

Yeah that's the one! How was the build? I'm guessing it's a fair step up from a 5e3?

Not wanting to derail your thread too much, so briefly - this was my first amp build on a background of several Veroboard-based pedals, and a *lot* of input from Michael of Modulus. To complicate matters, I added a variable NFB control and a master volume (Frontelli circuit from the Robinette site). All in, the chassis is very busy, wiring-wise, and I would plan my next build a little more in advance for some things (valve-socket resistors and heater wiring for instance). Im sure that, fundamentally, it's not much different than a 5e3, except that there is more 'stuff' to connect up. When switching power tubes on for the first time, I was met with the positive feedback whine through a 4x12 - not much fun! And another lesson there is to leave plenty of spare wire to swap connections from output transformer if needed.

Feel free to pm me for more info if you would like.

Adam

Cheers Adam, looking forward to the build thread! I’m a sucker for gut shots!