A naive question for a guy of my age..Cheap Drill and bits..

What's Hot
I have finally gave in and ordered a replacement neck and tuners..
The neck is not pre drilled to fit to the body..
It is also not predrilled for tuners,Gotoh Schaller Style..
I have never really had a situation where I have needed a drill..
I don't think I would use it very often..

It seems I need a drill and some bits..
I need something cheap with minimal features that will work..
Not some overkill thing I can use for building houses..
I may never do this job again even..

Has anybody any hopefully economical recommendations..?

Thanks.   :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I bought this, cheap but seems okay. Beware you could overcharge the battery as there is no auto off on the charger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-18V-Cordless-Rotary-Drill-Driver-with-Ni-MH-Battery-83576-/143200191640?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    I would pay a tech to do it for you. Especially if the drill probably won't get used again 

It will be fairly difficult to get accurate holes in a maple neck with cheap equipment and little experience. 

I drilled out the tuner holes on a neck. Opening them up from 8 to 10mm. The results were not the best
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8860
    Drilling to attach the body is not too difficult, as long as you don’t drill too deep. It helps to have a drill press with a depth stop.

Drilling for tuners has to be square on, and really needs a drill press.

Trying to do either with no experience of drilling is a recipe for disaster. Find someone local to do it for you.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep. I've drilled plenty but definitely wouldn't do tuner holes without a press
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 512
    Yeah Maybe a Tech would be best..I will have to wait till Covid calms down..I am at risk in 6 ways these days,so maybe leave it a month..At least I will have the parts..

I have a logo coming too as a Fender Neck is being removed..Maybe I am being daft wanting it still to have Fender on there..Long Story,but replacing it is simpler,plus I am fed up with taking the neck off to adjust the truss rod..The neck at present is very unstable,just having headstock truss rod access will be a luxury..I have battled with this guitar moving all over the place for years.Most of my other huitars are pretty syable now I run a dehumidifier apart from in Winter...Putting a Logo on there looks like a lot of spraying lacquer and leaving it and a lot of sanding,actually a lot of work..maybe not that cheap for a guitar tech to do that work..The Logo is coming from Portugal some time between January 21st and March 21st..lol...I hope it Arrives..
  • KevSKevS Frets: 512
    Thanks for all the advice including the drill and bits...
    This is best with a Tech I think..  :)