1 Watt Marshall JCM800

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72397
    Rocker said:
    Regarding the price of valve amplifiers vis-a-vis their wattage output, it strikes me that a significant portion of the cost is in the cabinet, chassis, transformers, valves and valve bases, tone controls and circuitry, volume controls, switches and socketry.  That is for a 1 Watt model.  The same costs plus additional valves, valve bases and a few additional components apply to a 50 Watt model.  Give or take a bit here and there.  Hence a 1 Watt model costs most of what a 50 Watt model costs to buy.  As I understand it anyway.
    You're right up to a point, but these amps weren't really any more complex or expensive to build than a Class 5, which was also UK-made, a similar size with similar component cost - albeit slightly more flimsy construction (they were notorious for rattling) and if I remember rightly originally retailed for around £330. So the 50th Anniversary models were priced right at £349, really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Id love to see a comparison between this and one of the newer DSl1's, just to see how close you can get the DSL to sound like it. Maybe even a compassion with the SC20, as they the JCM1's are selling at a similar price at the minute.

I previously had one of the JMT1H's and a DSL1HR at the same time and could get the DSL to sound very similar to the JTM1 on the Classic channel at about 6
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom