Vanson pickup to Gibson Quick connect

What's Hot
OK,

Bought a pair of Vanson '57s to replace a couple of Gibson P90s
Also bought a couple of after market quick connect adapters.

Anyone have any clues on wiring?

Gibson colours are:
RED: North Start
WHITE: North Finish
BLACK: South Start
GREEN: South Finish
BARE: Ground

Vanson colours are:
YELLOW North Start
RED: North Finish
BLACK: South Start*
WHITE: South Finish
*BARE (which comes soldered together with the black - but I've separated them): Ground.

Colours on the Quick Connects are Red, Black, Yellow, Green, Blue. but I can see which colour goes where on the plug.

Looked online and noticed that the Neck and Bridge pickups are wired differently.
I presume this is a phase thing??

I don't want to coil split, just want to plug my new pickups into my existing PCB on my SG.

If I join the Vanson North Start yellow to the Gibson North start red and so on, will this get me where I want to be?

Thanks in advance.
Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14828
    ellangus said:
    If I join the Vanson North Start yellow to the Gibson North start red and so on, will this get me where I want to be?
    Yes. Exchanging like for like will yield the same nett result.

The convention is that the North start/finish conductors come from the stud poles coil. 

The "reversal" of conductors on the quick connectors ensures that both humbuckers coil split to the same coil. (Either the inner stud coils or the outer screw coils.

Even if you have no intention of using coil splits, it is necessary to follow the connector block wiring convention. The series link between the coils is made on the PCB.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Thanks @Funkfingers although it’s academic now as although the pickups fit in the cavities, the distances between them don’t match the pick guard. Schoolboy error on my part
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    ellangus said:
    Thanks @Funkfingers although it’s academic now as although the pickups fit in the cavities, the distances between them don’t match the pick guard. Schoolboy error on my part
    Ditch the pickguard... improves any Les Paul.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14828
    Unfortunately, the OP is asking about a "batwing" SG.  :)

Presumably, this has one-size-fits-all pickup cavities. With a change of 'guard, it can sport either P90s or humbuckers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    Unfortunately, the OP is asking about a "batwing" SG.  :)
    Ah... missed that bit.

New pickguard needed unfortunately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    edited February 2021
    Yeah - I'm not usually that stupid, I don't usually assume things will fit but my thinking was that because this is a Standard and  the HB's dropped into the space Gibson would probably have had a 'universal' route so the bodies could be used for either P90's or Humbuckers. I hadn't spotted that the P90s were closer together. So I spent ages, very carefully working out which wire goes where (with the help of @Funkfingers - Thank you) Then soldering and shrink tubing everything - plugging in the pickups into the PCB and tapping them to make sure I got a noise from them. Then when it came to removing the original pickguard with the P90s in, I laid the new guard on top and discovered that I had been a dickhead! - Live and learn eh?

As you say @ICBM New pickguard needed or abandon the project - probably the latter.