Epi Thunderbird bridge repair?

What's Hot
My daughters boyfriend has managed to somehow wreck the bridge on his Epiphone T-Bird! He's strung it up and somehow the three threaded bolt bushes have pulled completely out the body. I've just seen pictures so far, but the holes still look round and in good shape. I'm thinking glue the threaded bushes? If so, what's the best glue for the job? At a loss how he's managed this! Thanks for help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14828
    With all four strings off, the bridge is free to shift about on the studs. If it were incorrectly positioned when string tension were reapplied, the strain could yank up the inserts.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    They can sometimes be rather loose in the holes. The easiest way to fix it is to wrap each one with one full turn of paper masking tape, set just far enough down that it folds round the bottom end a small amount, so it doesn't get pushed up the post as you press it back into the body. Be aware that the hole nearest the controls will have the ground wire in it, so you need to leave a gap in the tape for this to make contact with the metal.

If that doesn't work, you may need to use epoxy - the high-strength, slow-set type. You need to glue them in with the studs fully screwed into them and a small amount of grease in the bottom end of them, so the glue isn't forced up inside the threads and then stops the posts being screwed in far enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited February 2021
    Excellent! Cheers chaps
    On top of that, my daughter's boyfriend has just managed to break my snow shovel! WTF? Why can't they do *anything* without breaking something? :angry: 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16999
    ICBM said:
    On top of that, my daughter's boyfriend has just managed to break my snow shovel! WTF? Why can't they do *anything* without breaking something? :angry: 

Is it a long  or short grain break?   Simple re-glue, or will it need splinting? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

Is it a long  or short grain break?   Simple re-glue, or will it need splinting? ;)
    lol

Both - long grain one side and shattered on the other. There’s also a piece missing... I don’t know how he did it, it’s right in the middle of the shaft! I assumed it would break down near the blade - clearly not made by Gibson ;).

I suppose it could be glued and splinted, but not worth the bother - I just re-necked it with an old steel tube mop handle :).

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14828
    edited February 2021
    ICBM said:
    my daughter's boyfriend has just managed to break my snow shovel!
    Insert the broken shovel handle rectally.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBM said:
    But what about the daughters boyfriend? 
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8503
    MattNovak said:
    ICBM said:
    But what about the daughters boyfriend? 
    Who cares when it feels this good
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited February 2021
    Well,I've tried the masking tape fix and it did work on the 'G' string side of the neck,but 'E' side still pulls out well before its tuned to pitch. I've also noticed the E string doesn't sit in the bottom of the nut slot,you can see light under it! Neck also has zero relief. If it was mine I'd try epoxying bushes in and have a go at fettling the rest, but as its someone else's ,I've recommended a trip to a local Luther for fix and setup. So I'm feeling a bit of a failure but think my suggestion is the correct path:(