Chick Corea

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
I discovered him through his work with Return to Forever, with Al DiMeola and Stanley Clarke. Great keyboard player. RIP 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited February 2021
    An iconic modern jazz composer, musician and bandleader.  Enormous recorded output, great tunes - fantastic range of compositions, stunning live bands.
    He was 79.

R.I.P.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15487
    one of the truly innovative greats, right up there with the best of them. RIP.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
    Sad. An amazing musician innovator and band leader. RIP. 
  • pruddprudd Frets: 660
    Great musician, I remember being stunned at the musicianship seeing Return To Forever live way back in the mid 70's
    RIP
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    That's sad and as a youngster, RTF were so fresh and new and my first taste of jazz rock.

A phenomenal musician who much like Zappa and Art Blakey, pulled in unknowns and provided both a starting point and launchpad for them to go on to have successful solo careers e.g. Al di Meola, Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale etc
    R.I.P
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    Sad almost beyond words. What is almost as sad is the number of the true greats approaching this change in the near future, and the lack of talent to replace them. 

RIP and thank you, Maestro. 
  • RIP. I’m off to play some elektric band and return to forever.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    He was a master / maestro  , i specifically loved the elektric band grp albums and was lucky enough to see them at symphony hall in the 80s they were on fire !  frank was trading and doubling lines with eric marienthal and chic was all smiles . one quirk of this gig was patitucci couldnt make the gig , and the thing that blew me away was that jimmy earl ' read the gig ! ' and you wouldnt have known ...
    Another unforgetable memory was Frank with his red cowboy boots purple velvet trousers and gawd blimey syrup ... ;)

chic has returned to forever ... rip x
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    RIP Chick Corea...The Maestro
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Amazing musician. A sad loss
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    A modern Jazz master.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    A message from Lenny White:

“It's taken me some time to process the loss of my dear friend Chick Corea. This is because of what he means to everybody else. What his status has become and how he's touched and shaped society. The world has changed, because there are so many smaller more personal worlds that have been affected. A pillar has fallen in the creative music universe. I've known Chick for 52 years. We made ground breaking music with Miles Davis, then he asked me to be in his band some 4 years later. And that's when he gave me an opportunity to grow and define myself, along with Stanley, Billy and Al. But we were all defining ourselves and each other as we negotiated Chick's new musical vehicles. Communication was Chick's goal and I was learning how to do it on many different levels. Speaking, composing, musicianship combined with how to function as a Band in society. We became men, learning about each other through this musical journey created by Chick Corea. He became part of my family, and he invited me into his. His mom and dad were so encouraging and supportive. Endless enthusiasm, boundless inspiration are qualities those that have been fortunate to work with Chick get to experience. I was fortunate to take the seeds that Chick planted in me to grow my own gardens and invite Chick to bring his personal special plants to create unique, special collaborative musical gardens. I thank you Chick Corea for giving me the opportunity to inspire friends that I never have met and to continue to inspire those that I have. You've left a musical legacy that is infinite. I'm happy to be a part of it. You are irreplaceable. Your spirit is what is will awaken us out of this sleep...”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's very sad... what an amazing musician. Saw him with the Electric Band when I was in my mid 20's and then just him and Gary Burton about 10 years ago - probably one of the best gigs of my life. spellbinding..

What a loss.