Easing a sticky G string...simple?

What's Hot
I have a slightly sticky G string on one of my guitars, so it ‘hangs’ on trem use. Funnily enough it never used to do this and the string gauge hasn’t changed. Anyway, I have tried nut sauce and no difference. 

Normally I’d take this to @ICBM but with lockdown I can’t, and even if I could there may well be a backlog anyway. The guitar
is going there at some point for a pickup swap but in the meantime is there anything I can do that’s minimally invasive and low risk that might help?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14828
    Does the same string refuse to return to pitch after behind-the-nut bends?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Does the same string refuse to return to pitch after behind-the-nut bends?
    Yeah, any movement through the nut causes it to bind. 
    Also, does the headstock tilt back like a Gibson or does it need string guides, like a Fender?
  • Mildly tilted back with staggered tuners, straight string pull, no string guides :)
    Tilted head AND staggered height posts?  :o
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 198
    Sticky G string? fnaar, fnaaarr... get her to take it off and put it in a washing machine

Sorry I couldn't resist.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    Try flossing the slot and then re-lube.

You may interpret this differently after reading zedhex's post :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  :o 
  • Well...tried cleaning the slot and relubing to no avail. It’s weird because there’s no obvious ‘drag’ on the string as it passes through the slot. I wonder if the tuner could be responsible. It’s a Goto HAP locking tuner. Holds tune perfectly without touching the trem though.
    Sure sign that the nut slot is the problem.

The precise solution depends on the string path between the nut and each tuner post. Probably wisest to leave the task to ICBM.
  • Perhaps wind the G to the top of the tuner post. It worked on a Gretsch alongside graphite grease. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    If it sticks in opposite directions when you move the trem up or down then it’s not the tuner. It does sound like it’s the nut groove, but I’m not sure why.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10780
    Pencil it?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    It’s a Gotoh HAP locking tuner. 
    In that case, try adjusting the post for the G tuner higher relative to the headstock face. This ought to reduce the sticking.
  • It only sticks in one direction - pushing the trem down results in the more coming back sharp when the trem returns to its floating point. Pulling back on the trem or stretching the string will return to correct pitch.

Im going to try tweaking the post height and see what happens...

Thanks for the advice all.