The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Finished off the new Baptiste. Very bitty, I suspect that filming was interrupted by Covid and they had to patch it together. Earlier series and the preceding series The Missing are up on iPlayer and they are worth checking out of you like a thumping thriller. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I'm watching The Boys on Amazon. Brilliant. Watched ep 5 last night. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    I've gone back and started watching the older Marvel series on Netflix (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jennifer Jones etc).  I'm just getting to the end of the first series of Daredevil.  I'm not sure there's much - if any - substance to the plot if you stop to think about it, but it's all done with some style and the cast are good.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7520
    Finally finished AWAY on Netflix - initially the "Eastenders back on Earth" bits frustrated me but I concede they are an important part of the story on the mission - enjoyed it 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Philly_Q said:
    I've gone back and started watching the older Marvel series on Netflix (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jennifer Jones etc).  I'm just getting to the end of the first series of Daredevil.  I'm not sure there's much - if any - substance to the plot if you stop to think about it, but it's all done with some style and the cast are good.
    I enjoyed daredevil , also iron fist , I liked the punisher that was great 
    Philly_Q said:
    Yes, I've seen The Punisher already, I thought it might be a bit more stand-alone because I knew the other series were all interconnected.  I really liked the first series, I didn't think the second was quite as good.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11905
    Just re-watched The Comic Strip's 'Bad News Tour'.  As funny as I originally remembered it back in 1983 - very enjoyable.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Offset said:
    Just re-watched The Comic Strip's 'Bad News Tour'.  As funny as I originally remembered it back in 1983 - very enjoyable.
    I’ve been watching reruns of Bottom. Still hilarious. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    boogieman said:
    Offset said:
    I’ve been watching reruns of Bottom. Still hilarious. 
    One of the best words in Bottom is Lavatarian. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    Trying to pickup The Expanse again; I got about 3 episodes in and stopped. I've almost finished season 1, but it's pretty 'meh' so far - it's just not grabbing me,

Very good effects though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7520
    FarleyUK said:
    Trying to pickup The Expanse again; I got about 3 episodes in and stopped. I've almost finished season 1, but it's pretty 'meh' so far - it's just not grabbing me,

Very good effects though!
    it's not a patch on the books - if you enjoy a good read, get onto them and try to ignore the woeful TV casting 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 376
    A Skin Too Few (2002)  Old tv documentary on Nick Drake. (No longer available on BBC iPlayer so you'll have to find it through other sources.) Very frustrating programme for any one who loves Nick Drake's music - it's like a trailer for a really good documentary that doesn't exist. Thankfully, except for one skin-crawlingly misjudged appearance by Paul Weller  - so bad and so completely at odds with the rest of the film that even Larry David would find it hard to watch - it avoids the horrible "famous talking heads" syndrome. (Another hugely awkward aspect is the sound engineer John Wood, who you would love to see interviewed alone and in depth about the times he worked with Nick Drake in the studio but who here looks and sounds like he would rather be anywhere else on earth than doing this documentary.) The main criticism of this film otherwise is that there just isn't enough of it - the gaps are palpable and agonizing. It is worth watching, however, for two things. The first is Gabrielle Drake playing a tape recording of one of her mother's songs: you can hear pretty much all the inspiration for Nick Drake's music in that couple of minutes - really extraordinary. The other thing that raises this above the usual 'whatever happened to X?' type of prurient tv hagiography is the voices of Nick's mother and father talking about him and about the night of his death. They come across as thoroughly decent, loving people who did everything they could to help him and nothing they did was of any use. It's quite heartbreaking to hear.

I just watched that on yootoob. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the tip.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    Late to the party, but just finished 'Time' on iPlayer.

Excellent mini-series, but don't watch it if you're depressed.
    The new Lucan thing on ITV is really very good. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3596
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Yes, I've seen The Punisher already, I thought it might be a bit more stand-alone because I knew the other series were all interconnected.  I really liked the first series, I didn't think the second was quite as good.
    Bernthal excelled, I thought. 

The supporting cast were great. I think I may have to marry Rosario Dawson. 

Presently watching 'Floodland' on All4. Dutch crime drama. My Dutch friend assures me that yes, Holland is often that racist. 
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 673
    This is pop - a series on Netflix. Particularly enjoyed episodes about Brill building, country music, and Sweden. Recommended.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Realised that the new series of War of the Worlds had started. Anglo French drama about how the drummer from Black Sabbath tries to save the human race from alien invasion. 
    I don't love it but it has its own thing going on. A third series is on the works so it is risking being an endless scifi soap opera without ending that gradually wears on our patience. But it has it's moments. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Realised that the new series of War of the Worlds had started. Anglo French drama about how the drummer from Black Sabbath tries to save the human race from alien invasion
    I don't love it but it has its own thing going on. A third series is on the works so it is risking being an endless scifi soap opera without ending that gradually wears on our patience. But it has it's moments. 
    I had to Google that but now I understand! :)  I hope it's better than the BBC version with Rafe Spall - I was looking forward to that but it was so bad I didn't even bother to watch the end.

I'm still on the Marvel Netflix shows - finished Jessica Jones series 1 last week, which took a while to grow on me but I liked it eventually.  Now on Daredevil season 2.

Also started Slasher season 4 on Shudder, but I think they're doling it out an episode a week.
    edited August 2021
    Been watching various things on itv hub and iplayer, forced by our Sky satellite signal being on the fritz since Monday. (Fixed this morning thankfully). 

The best thing has been Unforgotten, with Nicola Walker and Sanjeev Bhaskar as detectives investigating cold case murders. Very well written and acted with some believable and sympathetic characters and decent plot lines. There’s only four series of six episodes each, so it’s not been too time consuming.  
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 673
    "Count me in" on Netflix. A documentary about drummers....just watch it with volume turned up. It's an utterly joyous program. Pour yourself a beer and watch this. Best thing I've seen on tv for ages.