Suggestion for a guitar project... do you think there would be a market?

What's Hot
I've just suggested to Thomann that they do a range of naked set neck guitars so people have the opportunity of finishing a guitar to their own liking. Do you think it would appeal to others?

My thinking behind this is that the likes of Thomann sell bolt neck guitar kits which basically just about assembly and finishing but there is no option for set neck guitars other than buying something to strip a refinish, the vast majority of which will be covered in poly which ain't that easy to get off.

I'd suggest something like Thomann's Junior DC to base the 'naked' project around which are currently sold at an amazing £144.

Does the suggestion have merit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    Maybe but the bolt on neck has quite a few advantages for the DIY builder 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14828
    Possibly but the correct question to ask is, would this idea be profitable? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Does the suggestion have merit?
    Yeah I suppose it has to be. I don't think there is anything on the market like I'm suggesting, Personally if say Thomann sold say the Junior DC naked at the same price as a fully finished model (£144) I wouldn't think it excessive, in fact I'd see it as pretty amazing value and in theory they must make more money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2021
    Yeah I suppose it has to be. I don't think there is anything on the market like I'm suggesting, Personally if say Thomann sold say the Junior DC naked at the same price as a fully finished model (£144) I wouldn't think it excessive, in fact I'd see it as pretty amazing value and in theory they must make more money.
    Who knows? If you ask very nicely and agree to pay up front, Thomann could instruct their suppliers to collate one or two set neck guitar kits.

Once these reach Europe, they could be photographed from every possible angle. Thomann could then test the market by uploading details of the kit and inviting pre-orders. Only once they have firm orders in quantity would they commission a production run.

THINKS: Do you imagine the kit to be supplied with the neck already glued on or not?
  • Does the suggestion have merit?
    Who knows? If you ask very nicely and agree to pay up front, Thomann could instruct their suppliers to collate one or two set neck guitar kits.

Once these reach Europe, they could be photographed from every possible angle. Thomann could then test the market by uploading details of the kit and inviting pre-orders. Only once they have firm orders in quantity would they commission a production run.

THINKS: Do you imagine the kit to be supplied with the neck already glued on or not?
    Although setting a neck in isn't difficult, I'd say the guitar should come with it already set in place, as the project guitars that are on offer from the likes of Thomann and Gear4Music are more about finishing than building.

Who knows, I'll see what, if any reply I get from Thomann:-)
  • My thoughts , 
    The cost of producing a set neck unfinished kit with the neck set isn’t going to produce enough margin for it to be profitable. Your adding a lot of human interaction when you glue a neck in as opposed to just wacking some wood through a CNC machine ergo extra cost. 
    Don’t think the demand will justify it
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16999
    The finishing and final assembly probably account for a large part of the labour cost with these, and thomann could probably sell them at 75-90% of their usual finished price.

It's not a bad idea in principle, and I could see demand for some models like the Juniors being pretty decent... but it would come down to the numbers.

• My thoughts , 
    The cost of producing a set neck unfinished kit with the neck set isn’t going to produce enough margin for it to be profitable. Your adding a lot of human interaction when you glue a neck in as opposed to just wacking some wood through a CNC machine ergo extra cost. 
    Don’t think the demand will justify it
    I agree but they are already selling the guitar I suggest fully built and poly-coated/finished, personally I'd be happy to pay the same price not to have it finished and then being able to do my own thing, I suspect I wouldn't be on my own (but that might be my wishful thinking). I've read many threads about the best way to get a poly-coat off so someone can have a go at putting on their favourite finish.

I think it would be about choosing a few good base guitar models. The most popular build guitar in this 'Making & Modding' section I would suggest would be a LP Junior type guitar, a good starting place.

Again wishful thinking on my behalf:-)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Interesting.   I think the appeal for many might be in gluing and setting the neck too rather than in just grain fill and finishes.   Many would be builders are perhaps put off by the big investment in tools to start from scratch but would enjoy the neck fitting and tweaking the angle / heel with block sanding etc (a la PRS)   At least youd feel more invested in the final guitar and it would teach you something about neck angles.   

This way its much easier and cheaper to pack and ship as well 

But there are already kits like this out there surely, but maybe not at this price point ? 

Given the Harley-Benton scale of production, there could well be a number of reject/seconds for each model. 

For somebody willing to glue and/or fill wood imperfections, the defective bodies might be worth purchasing. Just requires an opaque finish.
  • Well I haven't had a reply from Thomann it has either gone to the big boss or they just deleted my email:-)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    This kind of thing is already available.
    Here's an example 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363298069100
  • Sarge said:
    This kind of thing is already available.
    Here's an example 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363298069100
    Fair point.

I'm suggesting a little more complete proposition from a reputable retailer, with just a little less finishing to do. I suspect for some the actual setting of the neck (although very simple if parts fit properly) may stop some from just dipping their toe in to start a guitar project.

It was just a thought.