Cover challenge #12 voting thread.

What's Hot

This is the vote for the 12th fretboard cover challenge. All the entries can be found in the following playlist

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-12-i-put-a 

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Friday 26th Feb

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. In the event of a tie for first place then all those tied will choose a song.

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 5 points : @AlbertC : Excellent. Lovely arrangement that sets a great atmosphere. Polished but maintains a natural feel.

3 points : Dirty Snake Mouth : Great vocals and another good arrangement

1 point : Uncle Slippy Fist : Great funky version in Uncle's distinctive style

It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    First off, apologies for not getting involved in the last few runs of these.  It's purely down to the song choice, right now I simply can't bring myself to invest days and days into a cover of a song I really dislike.  It will not give a result anyone is going to be happy with.  Hopefully the next one will be more up my street.

I should also say, my utter distaste / boredom with this song has possibly made it more difficult to judge ... or maybe it hasn't ... I can't quite decide.  Right ...

Albert C - Nice acoustic sound, nice disonance adding character.  Really like the vibe.  Cool solo.

Uncle Slippyfist - Uncle is back, he still hasn't learned his lesson and will be banged up again shortly. High level of funkiness. Really liked the breakdown. Bit on the long side ... but that view certainly due to my view on the song choice than the performance.

Dirty Snake Mouth - Really nice but very, very traditional in its arrangement. Or at least more akin to so many versions I've heard before even though all performances were great it didn't grab me accordingly.

Stratman3142 - Some really tasty playing and a killer guitar tone.  Weirdly flat as a piece though, due to the backing I think.  It's so sparse it felt a little like some excellent guitar work over a youtube jam video.  I only say this because thats so different to your normal submissions where things are way more lively in the backing.  And I think that's gone against you somewhat here.

So, on reflection:

@AlbertC - 5
    Uncle - 3
    @stratman3142 - 1

Hopefully back next time so you can judge me in a vengeful manner.

Nice work though guys, seriously, top drawer fretwork on all of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bezzer said:

Stratman3142 - Some really tasty playing and a killer guitar tone.  Weirdly flat as a piece though, due to the backing I think.  It's so sparse it felt a little like some excellent guitar work over a youtube jam video.  I only say this because thats so different to your normal submissions where things are way more lively in the backing.  And I think that's gone against you somewhat here.

That's a very good and accurate observation. I think I just felt I needed to submit something, started to lose interest, then treated the guide backing as a bit of a throw away because I wanted to move on to other things.

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Okay...

5pts to @AlbertC - loved this... 
    3pts to @stratman3142 - awesome playing as always... Albertc just edged the win with production.

Hopefully the next challenge will be a good one :)
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Echoing what @Bezzer said with this challenge; the last one I did was an absolute fucking chore and this song felt like it would be the same. I can however cast some votes:

5 points @AlbertC - very nice acoustic guitar recording and the guitar solo was cool. 

3 points @poopot - Creepy song so a perfect fit for Uncle 

1 point @stratman3142 - awesome playing as usual

The Dirty Snakemouth cover was very good!

Hope we can get the fires burning on this challenge again....
    Voting closes tonight peeps!.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited February 2021
    Albert C 3pts - the last few productions I’ve heard from you have been great
    Stratman 2pts - Beautiful solo, nice phrasing.....background a little sparse as bezzer alluded to. With more going on you’d have had 3pts. 
    dirtysnakemouth 1pt - the other two are great; this one just edges it as I prefer the vocals. 

Good job lads.
    Voting closed.