Choking on one fret on one string only...help

What's Hot
jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 317
edited February 2021 in Making & Modding
Looking for a bit of advice here gents. I’ve got a Vintage VS6 that’s a bit of a beater but an outstanding sounding and playing guitar, with one issue that I can’t figure out.

The 16th fret on the high E string chokes hugely when playing - and ONLY that note. Beautiful low action with zero choking at every other note on the neck including the 15th and 17th, with smooth bends right up to the highest fret, but 16th fret is just dead. Not just for bending but for normal fretting. 16th fret on every other string is perfect.

Guitar has had a fret level and I can’t detect any high frets - there’s no rocking. I’m no stranger at all to guitar setups but this is something I’ve not encountered before! 

Any ideas what this may be?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14828
    Choking is a string in physical contact with another fret, further up the neck, towards the bridge. (Not necessarily the next fret along.)

The neck could have a ramp, twist or S curve. 

The pickups could be interfering with the vibration of the string.

The string could have a kink in it or a flat spot where it touches the fret crown.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    edited February 2021
    Definitely try a new string if you haven’t already.

If you bend the E to the same position as the B, but the B sounds fine there, it has to be the E string or possibly the bridge saddle, but it would be unusual for that to so specifically affect one fret position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 317
    edited February 2021
    I’ve tried a few new strings, same issue on the same fret...yeah @ICBM it chokes out whatever you do, bending to the same place as the B and everything.

The only thing that makes it go away is raising the action at the bridge quite a bit but that ruins the outstanding playability on every other fret...it’s weird. 

@Funkfingers I should also say I’ve tried lowering pickups, no difference but they weren’t massively high anyway!
    Try swapping the E and B bridge saddles.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Look closely when you are fretting the 15th/16th/17th and you should be able to see where the string is touching (or almost touching) an adjacent fret.
    I'd take a guess that a 16th is a tiny fraction too low, so it buzzes on the 17th  - Or - the 17th is slightly too high, so that it causes a problem with the 16th, but the 15th has just a bit more take off to miss the high fret.

Do you have a set of feeler gauges? that would help comparing gaps under strings and finding a low or high fret.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2021
    ICBM said:
    Try swapping the E and B bridge saddles.
    I’ll try that - I actually have a spare bridge I can stick on, I just didn’t think it would be that severe. I guess it could be a saddle! 
    Thanks man - will do that too! I’ve tried using feeler gauges and a fret rocker but still can’t find the issue. Driving me mad!
    Look closely when you are fretting the 15th/16th/17th and you should be able to see where the string is touching (or almost touching) an adjacent fret.
    I'd take a guess that a 16th is a tiny fraction too low, so it buzzes on the 17th  - Or - the 17th is slightly too high, so that it causes a problem with the 16th, but the 15th has just a bit more take off to miss the high fret.

Do you have a set of feeler gauges? that would help comparing gaps under strings and finding a low or high fret.

@ICBM - just put the other bridge on - sadly the same issue in the same spot! I also tried again bending the note up to the same place on the B and it actually doesn’t choke out there, I was wrong earlier. Not sure if that makes any difference but it would seem to narrow it down to the E string. 

I’ve tried 3 sets of strings on this, topwrapped and not, 2 different bridges and it’s still happening!
    If it doesn’t choke when it’s bent to the B string position then it’s the fret. It may have a flat spot or a scratch under the E string position.

I should also add it seems to be worse when using a plectrum.
    Can you post a close-up pic of the frets at that position?

Sure - looking at it it seems like one fret is at a bit of an angle. Will get a picture now!
    https://imgur.com/gallery/2sd5ygf

Seems to be a bit of fret sprout actually, I’ve circled it - I saw this before but I didn’t think it would have affected things too much as every other note is OK!
    edited February 2021
    That looks like the 21st fret to me :).

The 16th could have a slight dip in it or the crown is too flat and angled slightly towards the bridge, it's hard to be sure.

The fretting does look a bit ropey in general though.

Yeah that’s why I didn’t think it’d be affecting it, as it was the 21st! 

The fretting on these Vintages is always a bit dodgy in my experience, I’ve had a couple and all have needed a bit of a sort - shame because they’re otherwise excellent guitars.

I’ll try a bit of a recrown on the 16th fret, hopefully that’ll work! 
    jdbwales said:

The fretting on these Vintages is always a bit dodgy in my experience, I’ve had a couple and all have needed a bit of a sort - shame because they’re otherwise excellent guitars.
    This is fundamentally why they're £200 guitars and not actually as good as "the real thing", but the corner-cutting doesn't always show up as a practical problem. Unfortunately sometimes it does.

ICBM said:
    jdbwales said:

This is fundamentally why they're £200 guitars and not actually as good as "the real thing", but the corner-cutting doesn't always show up as a practical problem. Unfortunately sometimes it does.
    All sorted - very light bit of fettling on the next fret up and the choking is gone. Amazingly low and fluid action everywhere now - saved the guitar for me. Thank you!