Amp build - how difficult?

I'm thinking of having a go at a low wattage valve amp build. Looking at the Amp Maker kits, and I like the look, and budget of some of these.

I've done plenty of mods to guitar wiring over the years, but never anything that has involved anything more complicated than  this. 

What's the learning curve, or difficulty on something like this?

Hoping it's relatively easy!

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7138
    tFB Trader
    At a basic level it's just soldering components to a tag  board, not much different to wiring a guitar.

If you're methodical and can follow a set of instructions you should have no trouble at all.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Its vert straightforward but i would advise you to read up on mains safety - things like ensuring a very good earth bond to chassis etc - and also look at good heater wiring practices which can make a huge difference to the noise floor. Merlin Blencowes books and web pages are very good for this.    

Otherwise its just like painting by numbers if you have a good layout diagram

go for it ! 

And good luck with it 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7138
    tFB Trader
    I found this to be a good safety primer when I was building my amps
    https://ax84.com/archive/ax84.com/safety.html
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    Thanks both, useful advice and reassuring. I've always been a little spooked by the fact that you can do some damage if you get it wrong.

Steve - I'll fess up, I still haven't finished by Tele body. It's been sitting in here covered in grain filler for err....months! Well, at least the filler will have set!!! I have actually sanded the back and part of the front. Psyching myself up for the edges of the body, which look like they will require a bit of patience. It will be worth it I am sure.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    Ampmaker kits are superb, like you I had only done guitar wiring before, my Ampmaker was very straightforward....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

@paulnb57 great to hear. I can see this being my next project, once the Tele is done. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    The instructions are great, with lots of photos......really user friendly, I know less than zero about how an amp works, but that was no issue....the only tool I needed to buy was a digital multi meter to do the final testing
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited February 2021
    Check everything... then check again... go away... check again... go away again... check again...

it’s easy to do, if I can do it anyone can!...

you’ll get more out of it if you learn what does what rather than just soldering by numbers...

and I would highly recommend our very own @Modulus_Amps for your first kit... better choice and better quality tbh... plus Mike is a legend and very helpful and he will supply you with bits when you want to start modding the amp... which you will

tools wise.
    decent wire strippers.
    good soldering iron.
    decent meter.
    some nice pliers to bend stuff. 

welcome to your new addiction!!!!
    Thanks again. I'm weighing up my next project, though the Tele is still a way to go yet. It's a choice of a P bass build or the amp. Tbh, the bass is heading the list at the moment, however, that probably won't take long as I am likely getting a pre painted body.

• russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    I’ve always wondered why amp builders don’t use slide on numbers to identify the wires. It makes fault finding and wire tracing so much easier. I’d recommend adding wire numbers to a wiring diagram then you can see instantly what is what.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    russpm said:
    I’ve always wondered why amp builders don’t use slide on numbers to identify the wires. It makes fault finding and wire tracing so much easier. I’d recommend adding wire numbers to a wiring diagram then you can see instantly what is what.
    Well I guess they don’t use numbers so others don’t rip off their designs as easily.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2395
    russpm said:
    There is a colour code scheme (EIA?) for valve stuff. Modulus kits follow it, and I’ve kept to it on my own builds eg
    blue - plate
    green - control grid
    yellow - cathode
    black - ground
    This makes it easier to keep track of what is going where.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Socket Wiring colour codes definitely make fault finding a whole lot easier