Should I carry on using my old Tin/Lead solder?

What's Hot
I think I bought it in the 1980s

AFAIK it's not compatible with modern PCBs, but OK with pickups usually?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73158
    It's fine to use, and is compatible with modern solder. All that happens when you add tin/lead alloy to plain tin solder is that you get tin/lead alloy of an unknown lead content... but whatever it is, it will be fine (and if anything has a slightly lower melting point).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    I just stocked up with a few years supply of 60/40. I love the smell of burning solder first thing in the morning. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 949
    Just don’t lick it ( especially when it’s hot)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14828
    If you don't want it, somebody here will take it. How much do the solder and spool weigh together?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
    Wasn't there some fuss about rosin flux being a "sensitising agent" in the 80's ? I was a solder jockey back then and extractor fans were installed above all our workstations in a bit of a hurry.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119
    If you don't want it, somebody here will take it. How much do the solder and spool weigh together?
    I'll keep using it I think, I only use it for guitar wiring
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Its fine - so long as you dont breathe in the fumes ( or avoid as much as you can at least ! ) 
    For occasional soldering its a very low risk imo 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545
    It's fine for occasional use.  The ban was more to protect people who earn their living from it, and are potentially breathing in fumes for 30 or 40 hours per week.

I've stocked up, and got enough to last me for many years at my current usage.  I might buy one or two more rolls so I know I've got enough to last.
    crunchman said:
    It's fine for occasional use.  The ban was more to protect people who earn their living from it, and are potentially breathing in fumes for 30 or 40 hours per week.
    Not even that - it was to prevent lead getting into the water table via dumped electronics goods in landfills. Never mind that everything electronic manufactured since the 1920s can still be dumped and still contains lead, and the correct solution is to separately process electronics scrap so the valuable metal - including the lead - can be safely and profitably extracted... but no, government finds it easier to apply simple knee-jerk bans rather than tackle a problem properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    Not even that - it was to prevent lead getting into the water table via dumped electronics goods in landfills. Never mind that everything electronic manufactured since the 1920s can still be dumped and still contains lead, and the correct solution is to separately process electronics scrap so the valuable metal - including the lead - can be safely and profitably extracted... but no, government finds it easier to apply simple knee-jerk bans rather than tackle a problem properly.

Correct. Its not easy to absorb lead into the body, you have to ingest it. There will be no lead in the fumes, only whatever nasties are in the flux.

By far the higher risk is sanding old lead based paint.
    hywelg said:

Its not easy to absorb lead into the body, you have to ingest it. There will be no lead in the fumes, only whatever nasties are in the flux. 

By far the higher risk is sanding old lead based paint.
    Grinding leaded solder is dangerous though - it creates very fine airborne dust which if you breathe it in, enters the bloodstream very quickly and is extremely toxic even in small quantities. Don’t ever use a Dremel to cut solder.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom