Emily Remler remembered

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6253
edited July 2014 in Music

She was just a wonderful player. I still can't believe it's almost 24 years since she died.
Her acoustic version of her studio-album track 'You Know What I'm Saying' is exquisite. It showed not only that she was a great guitarist but also a superb composer.  

She could really swing too...

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I have all her albums - really I have to say she is one of my all-time favourite guitarists - for me up there with Wes, Barney, Pass, Martino etc. . A sad thought, but I think it is actually 24 years since her untimely death - was in 1990 I believe? What wonderful stuff would she have done in those 24 years? - jazz guitar was really robbed of a huge talent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6253

Megii said:
    I have all her albums - really I have to say she is one of my all-time favourite guitarists - for me up there with Wes, Barney, Pass, Martino etc. . A sad thought, but I think it is actually 24 years since her untimely death - was in 1990 I believe? What wonderful stuff would she have done in those 24 years? - jazz guitar was really robbed of a huge talent.
    Yep @Megii .. got my maths wrong.. 24 years indeed. Her passing was a terrible loss. She was such an inspirational player. I agree that she was right up there with the very best.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 790
    edited July 2014
    Yes, great player, I remember the record with Larry Coryell from the 1980's, I've still got her "East to Wes" record and her classic Hot Licks Video.

Here's a good tune:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    There were 2 hot licks videos, which I've still got on VHS cassette (but no VHS player anymore :D  ) - keep meaning to get DVD copies. I think I probably learnt more useful things from those than anywhere else (still working on some of it!)...

edited July 2014
    Megii said:
    There were 2 hot licks videos, which I've still got on VHS cassette (but no VHS player anymore :D  ) - keep meaning to get DVD copies. I think I probably learnt more useful things from those than anywhere else (still working on some of it!)...

Yes, I have the first video, it was great at the time, early 1990's?
    GuyBoden said:
    Megii said:

Actually not sure when they were made/released - I certainly got my copies back in the early 90s - of course she was no longer with us by then. I think I first discovered her in the late 80s, and so sad that she was not to be around much longer at that point.

BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, but there is a terrific website: www.allthingsemily.com - currently offline for maintenance, but should be back up shortly. Some wonderful live performances to listen to in the "Unpublished" section for one thing - especially valuable since she was only recording for barely 10 years.
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Good news this - have the 2 DVDs a great player and a very good teacher able to relate to people 
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Gave her East of Wes album a spin on Spotify as a result of this thread. It's a fantastic listen, sits happily in the background until suddenly she does something that really grabs your attention.
    bigjon said:
    Gave her East of Wes album a spin on Spotify as a result of this thread. It's a fantastic listen, sits happily in the background until suddenly she does something that really grabs your attention.
    I know what you mean, she had that inspired quality to her playing for sure. Try some of the other albums, it's all good stuff!
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Ooh! I've never really thought that I would see someone play an Ovation acoustic like that kinda way before. I always felt they don't really lend themselves to that kind of playing and that they don't have much beyond to offer beyond their (in my eyes) fairly select appeal.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Yes, East of Wes is a good album.
    Megii said:
    GuyBoden said:
    Megii said:

Actually not sure when they were made/released - I certainly got my copies back in the early 90s - of course she was no longer with us by then. I think I first discovered her in the late 80s, and so sad that she was not to be around much longer at that point.

BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, but there is a terrific website: www.allthingsemily.com - currently offline for maintenance, but should be back up shortly. Some wonderful live performances to listen to in the "Unpublished" section for one thing - especially valuable since she was only recording for barely 10 years.
    Her version of "Softly" is still absolutely brilliant, I remember a friend showing me how to play it many years ago.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom