Quick Pedal PSU Amp Rating Question

What's Hot
TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
edited February 2021 in FX
I have a pedal that is rated at 15v 0.3A. I had to order a replacement PSU for it and so ordered an exact 15v 0.3A PSU. A 15v 2A PSU has tuned up. Raised this with the store to be told ‘amperage is allowed to be higher’ I know a piece of equipment is only supposed to draw the amount of current it requires from a supply but have also been told that having significantly too much current available can be damaging.

Can anyone confirm either way please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    If the supply is properly regulated it’s fine. Modern supplies of that sort of current rating are since they’re switch-mode types which are fairly sophisticated.

The problem is with older unregulated supplies where the correct voltage is only produced when enough current is being drawn, and drawing less results in the voltage being higher, by up to about 50% in extreme cases - it’s the high voltage which is then the risk to the pedal, not the current capacity itself.

There is a more hidden danger with very high-current supplies too, which is that they can be capable of overriding the reverse-voltage protection if it’s just done with a single diode - a lot of pedals are. So make *certain* that the supply is the right polarity, and turn off immediately if the pedal doesn’t seem to power up normally. If it does, it’s correct.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    Thanks for clearing this up @ICBM I have updated my PSU knowledge!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom