What's Hot
blobbblobb Frets: 2950
to-nite at 8:00pm, Ed talks about stuff

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2021
    A cool band back in the day. I own these two albums and still play them regularly ...

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    Cool interview as always. Here's the recording for anyone interested.

• Oh man. Not heard their stuff for yeaaaars. Remember a gig at The Astoria. Could have been Brixton. Was a little, ah, not with it. Think it was good. Might not have been. Pretty sure it happened. I think. Maybe. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've been to a few like that. :#

• blobb said:
    I've been to a few like that. :#

F@@@@@ good times though :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    My brother and his college friends were big OT fans in the late Eighties. My vague recollection is that OT had opened for Here And Now at some ULU student union-organised gig. At the time, the music of both bands was only available on cassettes sold at the venue.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Ah H&N and Ozrics, what a nite that would have been.

Incidentally, the six cassettes are due another remaster/box set release

The first time they did this, and packaged them up in a cereal box type packaging (there is an 'Ozric Tentacles is a type of breakfast cereal' thing going on here), Kelloggs threatened to sue and they were pulled from sale. Original tapes are rare, and so are the re-issues! Although I've yet to see Lawsuit used in this context. Yet.

Amazingly, all six tapes were made in Ed's bedroom studio. When Jurassic Shift got to No 11 in the charts, they became one of only a few bands to achieve a top 40 release with no record company support whatsoever. Just gigs, word of mouth and bootlegging tapes....

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited February 2021
    My brother has the "naughty" cereal packet 6CD box set. I have no idea when he last bothered to play any of them.

Thanks for the link. On the 2021 tour itinerary, my nearest venue is a tiny club in Cardiff. (Saw Living Colour there. They absolutely stormed it.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Always loved his playing
    I've seen them a few times

I was really please to hear this a few years back, I'll share it
    I was listening to Desert Island discs back in 1997, and 21  minutes in, the posh sculptor says out of the blue "my youngest 2 children have a band...."

BBC Radio 4 - Desert Island Discs, David Wynne

Just imagine having kids that create such brilliant music
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Great band, lots of lsd and ozrics memories (of sorts) from the late 80's early 90's

I really like the remastered stuff that Ed has re-released on Spotify too and love the way he posts on FB, happy to discuss synth's and what was used when.
  • I remember sending off for the cassettes to a chap at a Frome address (Better Daze distribution?) along with those of the (fab) Ullulators, the Oroonies and suchlike. Also Evil Edna's Horror Toilet because, well, why wouldn't you? 
  • pogulpogul Frets: 25
    edited February 2021
    Was that The Cheap Suit Oroonies? I saw Ozrics do a gig at Tower Records in London - it sounded amazing. They always had a very distinctive hihat thing going on that I can't quite understand - some kind of crunchy rhythmical thing. Very cool.
  • Could be, I think the Oroonies went through different mutations.
    I saw the OT several times at free events in the past, like the Strawberry Fayre in Cambridge for instance. They played on Wango Riley's Travelling Stage, I recall.
    Their clouds of swirly guitar, synth, sequencer sound was often astonishing. 
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    brucegill said:
    Oh man. Not heard their stuff for yeaaaars. Remember a gig at The Astoria. Could have been Brixton. Was a little, ah, not with it. Think it was good. Might not have been. Pretty sure it happened. I think. Maybe. 
    I had a mate that used to spend a fortune going to festivals and never actually seeing any artists or bands because he used to get so wasted on arrival and ended up sleeping it off in his tent.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323

blobb said:
    Cool interview as always. Here's the recording for anyone interested.

Thanks for posting that I hadn’t seen it before.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Loved this one off 'There is Nothing'. Great early guitaring from Wynne. My favourite Ozrics album in fact, even the title is clever.