Didn't think I wanted another overdrive. Got lent a Distortron,

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    noisepolluter;301679" said:

I too am increasingly leaning towards less smooth sounds. The TS-based pedals hardly get a look-in these days.
    Have you tried a ts a like into the distortron?
    Proper good.
    I used to stack mine with all sorts of ODs. 

It was a great little pedal but it was a little mushy and lacked note clarity when using certain 9/11/13 chords etc etc

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    monquixote said:

Unfortunately it's my favorite Marshall flavoured distortion so you'll almost certainly hate it :)
    Not at all! As long as it sounds like a *Marshall*, and not like a Marshall-style pedal into a Fender amp :).

Or like a modern Marshall, for that matter... ;)
    I was thinking more in terms of our diametrically opposed tastes. :)

I've tried one into my Puretone and it as you expect didn't make it sounds like a Marshall though it was very good. 
    I tried one into a JVM and I much preferred it to the dirty channel of the amp.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    I've tried one into my Puretone and it as you expect didn't make it sounds like a Marshall though it was very good. 
    I tried one into a JVM and I much preferred it to the dirty channel of the amp.
    That doesn't surprise me. A friend of mine used a DSL for a while, and preferred his Guv'nor pedal to the dirty channel of the amp as well.

As you may have guessed I'm actually not particularly gear-fussy. I know what I like and what I don't like, and I can hear the differences, but I'm quite happy with things that sound different as long as they sound good. I've never worried about getting 'my sound' through provided amps as long as I have a pedal I know will get into the ballpark - although admittedly I have come slightly unstuck more than once! Being flexible and being able to play around the problem, as well as being able to dial different gear in, goes a long way.

I've played through DSLs, JCM900s, Valvestates, various Fenders, Peaveys and almost anything else you're likely to find in a rehearsal room or a hired backline, and although none of them sound "like" an old Marshall, they've all been good enough to use. Owning is a different question :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein