Flight case recommendations

keirkeir Frets: 137
Recently bought a pair of 1x12 combos, one has a padded cover the other doesn’t. 

Whenever I’ve travelled to rehearsals I’ve always put the amp on it’s side in the boot, often the amp will slide out of the cover which is not great. 

I’m also hoping to move to a bigger / better rehearsal space which involves a lot roundabouts etc 

Anyway, I was wondering about getting a hard case - similar to a flight case but without wheels, hopefully I’ll be able to stand these upright in the boot (estate), providing better protection for the amps and also doubling as a decent amp stand once at rehearsal and also protecting them from being bashed by my kids tearing around everywhere and the cats. 

So basically I’m looking for a flight case, shallowish bottom section and full top, ideally made a bit more light weight as I’ll be carrying it via the 2 side handles. It’s very unlikely to go on a plane so doesn’t really need full on flight case protection. 

I’ve had a little look round and I’ve seen ones that are too opening with a lid that’s hinged but I’m not sure I’m keen on that.  

Does anyone own similar? Or have any recommendations of where I can get one? 

Thanks 
Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Flightcase Warehouse. Their standard range aren't too heavy - probably not full tour spec, but that's ideal for what you want. Prices were quite reasonable last time I bought one from them, although that was a fairly long time ago now. They do have wheels but I'd be surprised if you couldn't specify them without if you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ManWithoutSkinManWithoutSkin Frets: 131
    edited February 2021
    The best cases I've used have been from NSP https://theflightcasecompany.com and BSH. They don't seem to have a website, but 0161 273 2323 is their phone number according to google.

If your budget isn't an issue, then go to Packhorse.  https://www.packhorse.co.uk  They make cases for most of the bigger UK touring bands.

Personally, I'd avoid castle cases. Every case I've come across from them has been flimsy, rusts quickly and generally awful.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    edited February 2021
    What amp are you looking to house? 

I’ve got a pretty mint flight case I used to haul my Two Rock 1x12 combo about in. 
    Wheeled bottom tray with I think lockable castors so it doesn’t roll about and the top comes off so the amp never has to leave the tray when you play or whatever. 

Could possibly sort a deal. Although that combo did have quite dinky dimensions even though it was a 50w powerhouse. I miss that thing. 

What size is the amp? I could have a measure up and sort some pics if you want? 
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I’ll do some ringing round over the weekend. 

@Nerine ;
    I’m looking for a case specifically without wheels to decrease the bulk and height so I can get it in the car standing up, hopefully without giving myself a hernia in the process! Thanks for the the offer though :)
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    keir said:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I’ll do some ringing round over the weekend. 

@Nerine ;
    I’m looking for a case specifically without wheels to decrease the bulk and height so I can get it in the car standing up, hopefully without giving myself a hernia in the process! Thanks for the the offer though :)
    I’m pretty sure you can take the wheels off. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Potentially, pop a strap that goes under the amp and it may hold the cover in place
  • I’ve found flight cases to be a compete ball ache and not worth it unless you are properly touring- which sadly I’ve never done! The added weight and bulk is just not worth it. They also become pretty worthless if you end up lumbered with one after the amp has long gone. Put a belt of some kind around it save a fortune and a load of hassle! Just my experience! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I’ve found flight cases to be a compete ball ache and not worth it unless you are properly touring- which sadly I’ve never done! The added weight and bulk is just not worth it. They also become pretty worthless if you end up lumbered with one after the amp has long gone. Put a belt of some kind around it save a fortune and a load of hassle! Just my experience! 
    I’d have to say my experience is the exact opposite. When I was playing gigs - not touring - with a fairly heavy Mesa combo I found a flightcase an absolute godsend. It turned an amp that was a heavy, awkward one-man carry into an easy two-person lift - and most of the time, not even that since it was on wheels. We used to stack the PA cabs on top of it and use it as a trolley at the same time too. It also made the perfect amp stand without having to carry an extra one. And of course it protected the amp - a cover doesn’t completely, it’s still possible to do damage through it.

When I eventually sold the amp it was still in perfect condition, and although the buyer didn’t want the case I sold it very easily to someone else who did - even if I’d had to give it away I still got more for the amp than I would have done without it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Castle Cases are excellent
  • +1 for Castle Cases. I've got a flight case for my LP from them, as well as a Marshall head flight case/2x12 cab flight case. Can't fault them! 
    Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!