Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Strap Recomendations Please

What's Hot
That new Les Paul of mine needs a comfy strap...mono straps have been recommended, but what else should I be looking at. 

No real idea on budget, but nothing mega expensive. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Levys padded leather one I use for my Les Paul made a massive difference compared to my usual "car seat belt" type...but it's a good 7 or 8 years old and was over £40 back then, so possibly not your idea of "nothing mega expensive"..

• Mono.

Sometimes they come up cheap on Amazon. Got one of mine for £17 !!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    A student brought along a Souldier strap last night, looked very nice, very glittery.

I wouldn't buy one. Even second hand tbh.

Same basic construction style as my Get'm straps but no where near as substancial or generally well made.
  • I have been chasing the holy grail of a cheap yet adjustable and supportive strap for a while. Pretty sure it doesn't exist ( I find the Mono ones and similar to be really quite uncomfortable and the level of support to be they offer to be wholly exagerated). Very tempted to get a Gibson Big Boy (I think that's right) and say it cost £20 ( fairly sure MrsTheweary wouldn't believe it is possible to spend £90 on a guitar strap anyway). I do get why ageing rockers wear Armani suits on stage - those padded shoulders really help distribute the guitar's weight.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I use a padded Levy. See here for a thread on Les Paul straps:
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited September 2013
    Very tempted to get a Gibson Big Boy (I think that's right)
    Fatboy? http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_fatboy_strap_bk.htm
  • Very tempted to get a Gibson Big Boy (I think that's right)
    Fatboy? http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_fatboy_strap_bk.htm
    Fat Boy sounds better, bit less homo-erotic.My memory is just useless these days. I was going to start a discussion about preventing memory loss but...
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I use a padded levy one on my les paul , its perfect I never have any back, shoulder or neck problems.
    Can't remember what it's called, will have a look when I get home from work tonight.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    Levy are good.  While they are not cheap they do last.

One thing I would add about whatever one you get is to check the range of adjustment on it.  I've had some straps in the past that seemed to be designed for the guitar round the knees brigade and I couldn't get it quite as high as I would like.   Alternatively I've had one or two where I've adjusted it to almost full length - and I don't wear a guitar particularly low. 
  • Thanks all. I'll have a look. I've currently got a couple of Levy straps and I've always been happy with those, but they're mostly suede ones and a couple just webbing, that's what I used with the Les Paul last night. I'll look at the padded ones, and the other makes suggested.
  • Very close, although mine is tan coloured and had less of a glossy finish. It's not suede though so I'm not entirely sure that they make the ones I have any more.

I would suggest that you measure your current strap to make sure that your new one will go to the same length before ordering.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited September 2013
    It's definitely similar to mine although mine is black. I remember it comes in two lengths . I have the standard length and on its longest setting it is perfect for me - sort of in the middle.

If you want it by your knees the longer strap is a foot longer.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2013

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to measure my existing one before ordering anything. The Mono ones look dead comfy, but a bit...well camping kit or something, not really rock'n'roll. The Levys look a bit classier, but I'll also check out the ones in that other thread.

My next gig is on the 21st so I've got a couple of weeks to sort out something.

• Just reminded me of the other thing I had against the Mono straps. Measured my existing strap and decided I needed 45 inches. Looked at the Mono Straps and it said - 2 Lengths available; Short; 40" - 44" Long; 46" - 55"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are the Levys padded leather straps suede on the other side or leather all round? I don't like grippy straps which is why I normally use webbing types but I fancy a nice leather one when I (hopefully) get a lester.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    edited September 2013
    I've got a couple of couch straps, they're not really wider than standard but they're really comfortable with my les Paul. Theyre handmade, really great quality and built to last. some are made from old stock car vinyl, theyre 6 inches longer than standard and more importantly they're dead sexy and cool. http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/
  • Neotech Mega Strap.

I've got the bass version and its outrageously comfortable. Its also just plain black so you don't feel like a dork. 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    I made the switch over to using hypnotic straps last year and really like them. 

Nylon, suede or leather, cheap and comfy with a range of designs from plain to fancy (in a gothic style).  
    They usually arrive in a few days and seem very well made ofr the money.

link
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom