Sold my Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• John_A said:
    John_A said:
    What about a Suhr reactive load IR to use with your real amps? It’s the best ‘direct’ solution for me. It just sounds and feels better than all the modellers I’ve tried. 
    It's mainly for when I start gigging again, never going back to real amps for that :)
    Ahh right okay. For what it’s worth then out of all the modellers I’ve owned (Kemper, Helix, Boss GT-1000, Atomic Amplifire, Fractal AX8) the FM3 sounded the best and had the best feel. Plus it would appear Fractal are right behind the product, so the updates are coming thick and fast. 
    Tempting.  Main thing putting me off is the price, FM3 + FC6 (essential for live use UMO) is close to £1800, or double. used Helix, would hate to spend that to find I would have been happy with another Helix.

How do returns work post-Brexit?
    You wouldn’t have to go for the FC6, any midi foot controller would expand on the 3 switches of the FM3.

However the switches on the FM3 have dual functions (possibly even 3 functions after the latest beta firmware release). 

I could easily get through a gig with my main preset and the way I had the 3 switches setup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited March 2021
    Contemplating a couple of left field option of a Revv G3 and a HXFX, or man up and gig my JVM
  • I didn't realise that the FM3 wouldn't allow multiple amps at once. That's really lame given how much they've talked up the juice behind the unit.

Bye!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10256
    In regards to the Helix you sold.. No point getting another one if you’ve just sold it. I think spread your wings and try another thing. 

In regards to the multiple amps FM3 thing. I’d rather one amp model that sounds as good as the HBE profile does on that than dual amps on the Helix that (IMO) still don’t sound as good. The effects are excellent too. 

But the Helix is different. It’s hard to compare because even if you look at the FM3 side by side it doesn’t have the routing, buttons or the great UI of the Helix. If you’re talking sounds the FM3 is my winner, the other stuff it’s gotta be the Helix. 

I wonder if the Quad Cortex is going to be a kind of bridge between all three major devices. 
    In regards to the Helix you sold.. No point getting another one if you’ve just sold it. I think spread your wings and try another thing. 

In regards to the multiple amps FM3 thing. I’d rather one amp model that sounds as good as the HBE profile does on that than dual amps on the Helix that (IMO) still don’t sound as good. The effects are excellent too. 

But the Helix is different. It’s hard to compare because even if you look at the FM3 side by side it doesn’t have the routing, buttons or the great UI of the Helix. If you’re talking sounds the FM3 is my winner, the other stuff it’s gotta be the Helix. 

I wonder if the Quad Cortex is going to be a kind of bridge between all three major devices. 
    As mentioned, I sold the helix dispute to not using it at the moment with no gigs.  I’m in no rush, but hopefully it’ll only be a few months and I’ll be back gigging ;)

To be the ‘other stuff’ is almost as important as the sound, and IMO the helix sounds great anyway 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2021
    An FX8 with a Kemper (4CM) sounds good, and the FX from both units can be merged seamlessly, with the FX8 blocks being more tweakable. Old but good tech :skull:
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited March 2021
    The multiple amp thing needs explaining - you can't run more than 1 simultaneous amp block, however, with the use of the channels feature, you can have up to 4 different amp models within a preset.

The comment made about the FM3 not being very flexible is wrong IMO - plenty of flexibility if you understand the way the Fractal routing works - it can do 80% of what the Helix can do routing wise, you just have to be a bit more clever..

I have bastardised one of the free Burgs presets which has become a bit of a "one fits all" preset - I have a Wah, Comp, Phaser, Rotary, Amp (Bogner XTC Blue, Bogner XTC Red, Deluxe Reverb and CAE++), Delays, MultiDelay and an IR to FOH feed and a further out to my SD170/Cabs without an IR. Remember that I can also assign 4 different flavours to each block too and still get under the CPU 83ish % limits for stable operation - don't tell me that's inflexible!!!

As with all the Fractal stuff - Reverb is the killer and TBH, there's plenty of stuff in the Plex or MultiDelays for lees CPU hungry reverb type things if you really HAVE to have that ambient reverb (which is a complete waste live anyway IMO)
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Not considered the GT1000 Core?

I spent the last couple weeks OCD'ing between the Stomp, Boss and FM3.

Core is arriving today so we shall see. It may well be I have different requirements as I'll be using it for wet FX rather than models.
    tekbow said:

Core is arriving today so we shall see. It may well be I have different requirements as I'll be using it for wet FX rather than models.
    The amp modelling is a big thing, but have heard the GT1000 is a big improvement over earlier Boss stuff, looks a pain to use though IMO.

I would have gone for the HXFX or stomp in your position, the space echo is worth the asking price, but I suppose the Boss will have one as well
    John_A said:
    tekbow said:

The amp modelling is a big thing, but have heard the GT1000 is a big improvement over earlier Boss stuff, looks a pain to use though IMO.

I would have gone for the HXFX or stomp in your position, the space echo is worth the asking price, but I suppose the Boss will have one as well

They do.

I went for the Core over the HXFX Because I fancied a portable silent rig, and over the stomp because I discovered the DSP allocation sheet that someone drew up and the DSP limitations put me off.

A high gain amp plus, say, a flanger would have put me over the limit for the amps I'd have wanted to use.

On the interface side, yeah, its daunting and the manuals don't help. But once I downloaded the BT app for the GT1000 (no BT on core but the app can be used offline to familiarise yourself) and figured out how to do some specific Stuff it made much more sense.

Seems like theres plenty of room for future updates as well.

But as I said, mostly using for wet FX.
  • welshboyo said:
    The multiple amp thing needs explaining - you can't run more than 1 simultaneous amp block, however, with the use of the channels feature, you can have up to 4 different amp models within a preset.

The comment made about the FM3 not being very flexible is wrong IMO - plenty of flexibility if you understand the way the Fractal routing works - it can do 80% of what the Helix can do routing wise, you just have to be a bit more clever..

I have bastardised one of the free Burgs presets which has become a bit of a "one fits all" preset - I have a Wah, Comp, Phaser, Rotary, Amp (Bogner XTC Blue, Bogner XTC Red, Deluxe Reverb and CAE++), Delays, MultiDelay and an IR to FOH feed and a further out to my SD170/Cabs without an IR. Remember that I can also assign 4 different flavours to each block too and still get under the CPU 83ish % limits for stable operation - don't tell me that's inflexible!!!

As with all the Fractal stuff - Reverb is the killer and TBH, there's plenty of stuff in the Plex or MultiDelays for lees CPU hungry reverb type things if you really HAVE to have that ambient reverb (which is a complete waste live anyway IMO)
    Fully aware of all that guv; I think it's lame that the FM3 cannot run more than 1 simultaneous amp block in a preset. Channels doesn't solve it for me if I want to run a Marshall and a Diezel at the same time.

And I do need ambient reverbs, they are very critical to our sound.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    welshboyo said:

Fully aware of all that guv; I think it's lame that the FM3 cannot run more than 1 simultaneous amp block in a preset. Channels doesn't solve it for me if I want to run a Marshall and a Diezel at the same time.

And I do need ambient reverbs, they are very critical to our sound.
    My mini-rant wasn't aimed at you - its just in case people think its 1 amp and 1 amp only in a preset - dual/multiple amps I've never really understood unless you are Joe Bonamassa.

If you need that type of stuff then its the bigger AFX3 that'll handle that.

Ambient Reverbs are an easy do-able provided you don't load up the preset with other shite on the FM3.

I don't think Fractal have ever bigged up the CPU on the FM3 - its always been touted as the little brother to the AFX3.

I need a word with myself, I'm turning into a Cliff fanboy here......
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2903
    edited March 2021
    tekbow said:
    I went for the Core over the HXFX Because I fancied a portable silent rig, and over the stomp because I discovered the DSP allocation sheet that someone drew up and the DSP limitations put me off.

A high gain amp plus, say, a flanger would have put me over the limit for the amps I'd have wanted to use.
    That doesn't sound quite right to me but I could be wrong. The mod FX are mostly pretty low DSP usage afaik, maybe the reverbs are a bit greedy. The Badonk which is the best high gain amp (imo!) is pretty low DSP at around 20% I think. The Placater is quite high around 40% and with an IR that still leaves about 50% for FX. My use of FX might be pretty conservative compared to others though!
  • welshboyo said:
    I need a word with myself, I'm turning into a Cliff fanboy here......
    How dare you have opinions!!! ;)

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    The Fractal model is built-in obsolescence. I've dipped my toes in the water, and I am happy that I've stuck with my Kemper which is still being updated.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    TTBZ said:
    tekbow said:

That doesn't sound quite right to me but I could be wrong. The mod FX are mostly pretty low DSP usage afaik, maybe the reverbs are a bit greedy. The Badonk which is the best high gain amp (imo!) is pretty low DSP at around 20% I think. The Placater is quite high around 40% and with an IR that still leaves about 50% for FX. My use of FX might be pretty conservative compared to others though!

Could well be the case and I misread or misunderstood, however, once I discovered DSP limitations and started looking into it, was a topic that came up a lot.

So I opted to not give myself the hassle in the first place.

Not to put Down the Stomp, clearly its  great and popular unit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    It just depends what you intend to do with it I guess - my HX stomp patches are mostly 2 amps, 2 IRs, and that just leaves enough DSP for a delay and then maybe one other low-dsp thing like an EQ, certain overdrives... If I go down to one amp or one IR then it'll do delay, reverb and a (non polyphonic) pitch effect. The new polyphonic pitch effects will pretty much limit you to one amp and cab if you use those - and possibly not the higher dsp amps...
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    @John_A how do you rate S-gear in comparison with the Helix? I had an LT but after trying S-Gear I sold the Lt as I find S-Gear's amp modelling sounds so much better. Shame that it's so limited in terms of fx.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    fnpt said:
    @John_A how do you rate S-gear in comparison with the Helix? I had an LT but after trying S-Gear I sold the Lt as I find S-Gear's amp modelling sounds so much better. Shame that it's so limited in terms of fx.
    S-Gear is great for good basic amp sounds, and certainly easier to dial in than the Helix.  But to be honest I really don't think there's a lot in it, I can certainly get my Helix to do everything S-Gear can and sound every bit as good.  On the other-hand, Helix can do a whole lot more, the effects are amazing, the routing, the high-gain amps
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 987
    How’s the search for a replacement going @John_A ;