Total noob acoustic mic question

What's Hot
So i'm looking to get into recording solo acoustic guitar at home.
But i'm a total NOOOOB
I know nothing.
NOTHING!
 :# 

So i've been trying to educate myself on youtube about different mics and stuff, but in all honesty, most of it goes over my head

I think i've narrowed it down a bit so this is what i'm thinking i'm going to need...

Macbook pro (which i already own) with Garage Band
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4... (i'm thinking this would cover me for phantom power?)
and either a large diaphragm condenser mic or a pair of small condenser mics. 
I've been looking at Warm Audio as they seem to do some great affordable versions of the more expensive big boys of the audio world. 
Particularly the WA-84, WA-14, WA-87 R2, WA-47

So my question is what mic or mics should I be looking at?

Given i'm a novice at this I was thinking a single Large diaphragm condenser mic would be simple to set up? But would I be better off with a pair of small diaphragm for a stereo sound? Or would that complicate things and be overkill? Is there anything else i'd need to get started?

If anyone has experience of mic'ing acoustics I'd love to get your thoughts 

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    edited March 2021
    I achieved my best results using a large diaphragm condenser near the sound hole and a small diaphragm condenser  near the 12th fret. Generally in the studio I used an SE2200 and a Shure SM81 which were the best mics we had for that application. 

You can get acceptable results quite cheaply though, this is a Rhode NT2A about 12" from the soundhole recorded in my front room 

Put some cans on and monitor what you hear while you move the mic and see where it sounds good. Generally it's fuller sounding near the soundhole but has a better attack near the 12 fret area

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    The need for condenser mics with acoustic guitars also brings the room massively into play compared to using dynamic vocal mics. 

Once you have a reasonably balanced sound from the mic you'll then need to start moving yourself and the mic around as a unit. Try different rooms, surfaces, furnishings, corners, hanging duvets, everything, either facing towards them or away from them. 

The first thing you'll notice as someone who's new to recording acoustic instruments is that most smallish domestic spaces sound like you're playing in a wardrobe when mic'ed up. 

I only have two places I can get reasonable results in my semi-detached house, and that's at one end of my main ground floor room, or in my large, acoustically dead vocal booth. I did empty one of the oak-floored bedrooms once to redecorate it and it sounded great, but I don't have the luxury of keeping a room totally empty all the time.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

• BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    thanks guys! I already feel like i'm lost down that rabbit hole and I don't even own a mic! That's my first hurdle!
  • Going on the fact you’re brand new to this. Go for one mic. It’ll take all the issues of phase out of the equation. As far as mics go, Aston make some excellent mics. The Spirit is fantastic mic for the money, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom