What happened to.....

What's Hot
All those strats in 70s that were sanded down and routed out for DiMarzio humbucker pickups, and brass bridges/Trems fitted. 
Used to see loads of them at one time, in fact it was often the typical s/h Strat that you saw in guitar shops that you could afford. My friend still has his, painted with Cuprinol stain and brass hardware. The rest seems to have vanished, I wonder where they went? 
On another note there seems to be a lot more custom colour strats around these days. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I don't know, but this just popped into my head: 

Whatever happened to my Strat pickup? 
    Just like an ice pick, 
    It made my ears burn. 

Whatever happened to Kahler tremolos? 
    Replacement brass nuts? And Ronseal woodstain? 

Whatever happened to Strat weirdos? 
    Whatever happened to Strat weirdos? 

Whatever happened to those Strat weirdos? 
    Those guitar heroes, 
    They made their frets burn. 

No Strat weirdos anymore,
    No Strat weirdos anymore....

(repeat until we get an answer).

Right, tea break over. As you were, chaps.  
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    All those strats in 70s that were sanded down and routed out for DiMarzio humbucker pickups, and brass bridges/Trems fitted. 
    Used to see loads of them at one time, in fact it was often the typical s/h Strat that you saw in guitar shops that you could afford. My friend still has his, painted with Cuprinol stain and brass hardware. The rest seems to have vanished, I wonder where they went? 
    On another note there seems to be a lot more custom colour strats around these days. 
    Funny that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14244
    tFB Trader
    somehow morphed to original !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a topic I often mention - I recall those Strats in the 70's - I've sold them as per your description, in the 70's for £300 or so - But can't recall the last time I ever saw one for sale, in the flesh, or on-line as per your comments

To be fair I saw more with a DiMarzio SD1 'hot single coil' in the bridge position, so no routing - But I totally get your point
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

That was something I remember Melvyn Hiscock saying to me once or twice, plus how few of them show signs of being routed for Kahler bridges despite that being a popular mod ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Sold as relic'd by some dodgy eBay seller in Germany.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mid 90’s eBay started 2nd hand prices went to shxt, and you couldn’t sell anything that wasn’t pristine or the buyer would send it back, so people with heavily modded strats realised no one would buy them so kept them. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • They’ve all been immaculately restored and then had fake patina applied.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    One thing worth bearing in mind is that the UK was a relatively tiny market in those days, even a lot of famous players only had a couple of American guitars. 

Way more 60s and 70s Strats have been imported into the UK over the last couple of decades than were ever sold here new, and very few are deliberately importing the heavily modded ones. 

So while plenty have been restored or rebuilt with parts from different guitars most of the Fullerton-built Strats you'll come across for sale here were never even in the UK when we were butchering them. 

Of course the Americans were butchering them at the same time, but the actual pool of guitars there is absolutely vast and it's currently supplying the rest of the world with fairly unmolested guitars. 
  • I get that, but wondering how many hacked up strats and tele's are still out there. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I get that, but wondering how many hacked up strats and tele's are still out there. 
    Very few. Any that have passed through a dealer will have been restored - there’s too much profit in doing so for them not to be, far in excess of the cost of the work.

And of course they will all be custom colour, since they’re worth more - even refinished - and the solid colours cover the rout repairs better.

There are still a fairly large number of hacked student models out there though - they’re not worth enough for the cost of the work to be economical. That used to be true of Jaguars and Jazzmasters as well, but not so much now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    edited March 2021
    @Christeafur I have one too, routed for a Strat trem, and the rusty scratchplate sprayed with car paint!

The neck is on my favourite Telecaster though, it chunky with a flatter radius than a normal Tele neck. 
  • p90fool said:
    @Christeafur I have one too, routed for a Strat teen, and the rusty scratchplate sprayed with car paint!

The neck is on my favourite Telecaster though, it chunky with a flatter radius than a normal Tele neck. 
    Funny you should say that - My bro still has that neck mounted on a strat body now, but still plays it
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Adrian Belew still has a load of them :)
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Also guilty Kahler but hot rails so no pick up rout. I have wondered if I should get Jonathan to put the original trem back.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

In the garage somewhere at my mums lays the body of a USA fender bullit, routed using a hand drill in the 80's by my bro to fit his khaler like trem. Metal scratchplate hand painted with hammerite...

Sounds like my ideal project! :D

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

p90fool said:
    @Christeafur I have one too, routed for a Strat teen, and the rusty scratchplate sprayed with car paint!

And this! :D

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    This is indeed a topic which is close to my heart, given that I'm currently attempting to put together a '70's/'80's-style Strat with all-brass hardware - mainly because I can't find a complete "pre-modded" job from back then...

It is strange though - I remember seeing them all over the place at one point...

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14244
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    One thing worth bearing in mind is that the UK was a relatively tiny market in those days, even a lot of famous players only had a couple of American guitars. 

Way more 60s and 70s Strats have been imported into the UK over the last couple of decades than were ever sold here new, and very few are deliberately importing the heavily modded ones. 

So while plenty have been restored or rebuilt with parts from different guitars most of the Fullerton-built Strats you'll come across for sale here were never even in the UK when we were butchering them. 

Of course the Americans were butchering them at the same time, but the actual pool of guitars there is absolutely vast and it's currently supplying the rest of the world with fairly unmolested guitars. 
    Some valid points in there

I was watching a 'best of Old Grey Whistle Test' recently + only the other night S Dan and a 'Reelin in the years' video clip - All from the early/mid 70's - Look at these clips and nearly every 'old guitar' was modified in one way or another - The reason why is that players required various mods to allow these guitars to perform in the way they required them to