Fitting a strap button.

What's Hot
Hi

I have a Lowden and would like to use a strap. I find the guitar unstable. 

Lowden sell a strap button to fit in the neck heel but are there any options that are good and won’t damage the guitar such as the leather strap things that seem to site behind the nut. 

Cheers Jason
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    You can tie a loop of cord to the headstock, which is the traditional method. A nice long bootlace is ideal.

What to do is *not* how it's usually done, which is to loop the cord through the end of the strap, then tie it round the headstock - if you don't tie it tightly enough the guitar can fall off the strap, and if you do do it tight enough then it's hard to remove when you want to.

What to do is *first* tie the cord into a loop, using a reef knot right at the end, and pull it as tight as possible - you'll never need to undo it again. Now, poke the end of the loop through the hole in the strap and feed the rest of it through the end of the loop... now it's firmly attached to the strap. (I like to arrange it so the knot is hidden behind the strap end, but it's up to you.)

Then, poke the cord under the strings behind the nut, and then pass the whole of the strap through the loop on the far side. Now the strap is attached to the guitar in a way that it cannot possibly come undone, but is easy to remove. Finally, just fit the other end of the strap to the endpin on the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    You can tie a loop of cord to the headstock, which is the traditional method. A nice long bootlace is ideal.

What to do is *not* how it's usually done, which is to loop the cord through the end of the strap, then tie it round the headstock - if you don't tie it tightly enough the guitar can fall off the strap, and if you do do it tight enough then it's hard to remove when you want to.

What to do is *first* tie the cord into a loop, using a reef knot right at the end, and pull it as tight as possible - you'll never need to undo it again. Now, poke the end of the loop through the hole in the strap and feed the rest of it through the end of the loop... now it's firmly attached to the strap. (I like to arrange it so the knot is hidden behind the strap end, but it's up to you.)

Then, poke the cord under the strings behind the nut, and then pass the whole of the strap through the loop on the far side. Now the strap is attached to the guitar in a way that it cannot possibly come undone, but is easy to remove. Finally, just fit the other end of the strap to the endpin on the guitar.
    I assume the stress of the strap at the headstock end is not an issue considering the tension already on the neck?
    AllthegearNoidea said:

I assume the stress of the strap at the headstock end is not an issue considering the tension already on the neck?
    No. People have been attaching straps like that for decades and I've never heard of any damage being done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    This might be the first time I have disagreed with ICBM. Sorry mate.

I find that connecting your strap to the head puts the guitar in the wrong position unless you are wanting to imitate Johnny Cash. I recommend Dan Erlewine's position no. 5 in his article:

Where's the best spot for your strap button?

• It’s a daunting thing taking a black and decker to an expensive acoustic so can understand why @AllthegearNoidea would prefer to use a bootlace.Personally I far prefer the balance of a strap on a button on the heel to a bootlace round the headstock. The article @Whistler links to is excellent and should give you some confidence if you do decide to fit a button. I must say @ICBM way of fixing abootlace is new to me but seems effective 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Lowden's advice was to put it here:
    https://i.imgur.com/rGgiDa8.jpg
    Bit nervous but it turned out fine ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Neck impact discussions aside, I find headstock position of strap unusable as it pulls the body too far to the right and feels very foreign. I know some get on with it though so worth trying. 

If you go down the button route, remember, measure twice, drill once. A gimlet comes in handy for this kind of slow work too. 
    Whistler said:

I find that connecting your strap to the head puts the guitar in the wrong position unless you are wanting to imitate Johnny Cash.
    I don’t really disagree, but if you don’t want to drill a hole then it’s the only sensible way...

Personally I find it quite easy to get used to the Johnny Cash/Elvis position, but I’ve still fitted heel buttons on all my acoustics.

• Thank you everybody. Strap button ordered. Going for position 5 which seems to be the same as the Lowden photo. 

Tried the bootlace method and it didn’t work for me. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    It’s a daunting thing taking a black and decker to an expensive acoustic so can understand why @AllthegearNoidea would prefer to use a bootlace.Personally I far prefer the balance of a strap on a button on the heel to a bootlace round the headstock. The article @Whistler links to is excellent and should give you some confidence if you do decide to fit a button. I must say @ICBM way of fixing abootlace is new to me but seems effective 
    I feel the same, a strap tied at the headstock is really uncomfortable, I feel like the guitar is assaulting me and trying to drag me down.

Drilling a button into the heel is quite simple.  For me, it's the heel or no strap at all.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    If this is your first time drilling into a guitar, put a piece of masking tape over thge spot you will be drilling as this helps the bit not to skid about at the start.
  • Whistler said:
    If this is your first time drilling into a guitar, put a piece of masking tape over thge spot you will be drilling as this helps the bit not to skid about at the start.
    Yep, that helps...pilot the hole too.

@AllthegearNoidea I can supply 'Lowden approved' precise location measurements if you haven't already got them ;)