My Mexican Telecasters

What's Hot
oldhorsemurphyoldhorsemurphy Frets: 321
edited March 2021 in Guitar

Well, I went through quite a long period of time (years) where I believed that US-made Fenders were basically the only game in town: everything else was a cheap imitation. I admit now that my snobbery was completely unfounded and saw the light when I purchased my Graham Coxon Tele about two years ago. Its a super guitar and build quality is excellent.

That was swiftly followed a Wilko Johnson Tele that is simply the best Tele I have ever played. I'm a huge Wilko fan and our health issues ran a close parallel for a number of years. I bought it as an investment, but after playing it, I decided it was simply too good for that.

Back at the end of 202, I picked up one of the Anderton's reliced purple 50's Teles which I loved but really couldn't get on with the sound, not matter what I tried. A few weeks ago though, I was offered another reliced purple Tele that was a Guitar Center Special Order in 2019. It actually a lower spec than the Andertons one in terms of pickups and the relicing isn't quite as good, but it's simply stunning to play and to my ears sounds far closer to the Tele sound I have in my head.

Apart from my 96 US Standard Strat, all my Fenders are now of the Mexican variety and I really couldn't be happier.

https://i.imgur.com/2bSNNqW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/27pxw5R.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M4MknFM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UtmpD7J.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1560
    Very nice, and to hear how happy you are.

They look like quite a formidable gang when lined up like that !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Lovely. I should have picked the Coxon model up when they came out. Always looked good.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I’ve had three Mexican fenders, a roadworn tele which was looked and felt lovely but needed more traditional tele pickups for me, a classic player 50s Strat and a classic laquer 60s jaguar. All 3 were excellent quality. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    Got a Baja. Albeit only the neck and body reamin - everything else has been changed and changed again :D ... Had it for coming up 3 years now which is a record for me. It has seen off a CS Strat as well as many other more expensive guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Loved my Classic Lacquer Tele, a much better instrument than the US built Custom I had some years earlier; but like the song says, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I don’t think fender make a better guitar than an MIM until you get to custom shop level. 
    I’ve owned loads over the years and always chose them over their USA made models. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    The MIM stuff is high quality. Honestly little difference if any to USA stuff I have tried.
  • For years my main gigging guitar was a made in Korea Epiphone FlameKat even though my home is clustered with US, German and Japanese made guitars. The Epiphone isn´t even modded. It´s just a very playable eyecatcher that even sounds good.

I guess I´m trying to say that the quality of a guitar certainly doesn´t depend on where it was assembled!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • grungebob said:
    I don’t think fender make a better guitar than an MIM until you get to custom shop level. 
    I’ve owned loads over the years and always chose them over their USA made models. 

I´m a bit biased because the first MiM Strat I ever played was a total POS!

Must have been a lemon but that impression sort of sticks to your mind.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    Love Mexican Fenders. That place clearly knows what it is doing, and has been doing it a long time now which no doubt helps.

I do think the biggest difference between the Mexican and US Fenders these days are rolled fingerboard edges. Pretty much everything else is too close for there to be an obvious difference, for me.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Gerz6558 said:
    Love Mexican Fenders. That place clearly knows what it is doing, and has been doing it a long time now which no doubt helps.

I do think the biggest difference between the Mexican and US Fenders these days are rolled fingerboard edges. Pretty much everything else is too close for there to be an obvious difference, for me.
    That is definitely the biggest difference.

But it is such a huge difference that the people saying they can't tell any difference leave me scratching my head.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    What’s the collective noun for four teles? 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    rsvmark said:
    What’s the collective noun for four teles? 
    A twang. 
    Remember that Ronnie Corbett sketch where he gets mixed up with Fort Heles?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    thegummy said:
    Gerz6558 said:

But it is such a huge difference that the people saying they can't tell any difference leave me scratching my head.
    How much you feel that part of the fretboard probably depends on your individual style. Might be the most important part of a guitar to you or I but make no difference to someone else?
  • Gerz6558 said:

My Mexicaster has rolled fingerboard edges.
    dazzajl said:
    thegummy said:
    Gerz6558 said:

How much you feel that part of the fretboard probably depends on your individual style. Might be the most important part of a guitar to you or I but make no difference to someone else?
    That's very true.

In fact that's why I'm far more open to Player series basses, playing bass (or at least the way I do) doesn't involve wrapping fingers round the neck in the same way.
    Gerz6558 said:

My Mexicaster has rolled fingerboard edges.
    What model?
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Lovely teles, oldhorsemurphy  :)

I have a Mex and two USA’s.

For me, there are differences in sound and feel, but it’s unfair to pitch one against the other. 

There is no way though that a £500 Mex is half as good as a £1000 USA. It is much much closer than the pricetag suggests  :)
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 338
    My son has a fairly new MIM Strat, all my Strats are American and several years old. Mine cost twice the price of his (or more) and are definitely better. However, I suspect that the main difference is down to the electronics and hardware, not the body or neck. I would not be surprised if the difference between his guitar and mine would be negligible if we did some choice upgrades to his. His Strat feels good for a new guitar. Mine feel more played in and I like that feel. I suspect that his will feel even better in time and if he ever wants to mod it, I'll jump at the chance. He also has a MIM FSR Tele Deluxe that I gave him some time ago. Every time I play it I'm reminded of how great the neck is - possibly the nicest of all the T-style guitars I own, including American Fenders and Suhrs. If/when I'm looking to get another Fender, I'll definitely look at more than just the US models.