Hot rodding a telecaster - pickup suggestions

What's Hot
Hi 
Im looking to turn my telecaster into a rock n roll monster.  Currently got a pair of vintage tele pickups but want to get something with more power that is still a single coil.  I have tried the Bare knuckle piledrivers which are great but take it a bit too far for me and compress a little too much.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Actual Tele players will be in shortly. I'm about to get my first Tele so I've been researching this. Pretty sure you're going to get advised to get a Broadcaster pickup. Something like a Mojo Broadcaster or Bare Knuckle Flat 50: 10k-ish, 43 awg wire, Alnico III magnets. Fat, high output, still sounds like a Tele. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 63
    I have an Alt 88 Tele Bridge from the Creamery - think it's slightly under wound from stock but still around 11k. I find the Alnico 2 has a warm/p90 ish territory. Not massively 'tele' sounding but still cuts through as expected with fuzz etc  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    SD Hot Rails in a Tele should sound awesome.  Not sure if they to Cool Rails for Teles if they're too much.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    BKP Boss is my go-to Tele set. Absolutely brilliant for "ballsy-but-definitely-still-Tele" 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Dimarzio Tonezone for tele, great pickup, just have to find something for the neck to match.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4553
    Wapping Wharf from @OilCityPickups ?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    Rock power but conventional appearance = Seymour Duncan BG-1400. 

Les Paul-ish tone and output = Seymour Duncan CS Pearly Gates For Telecaster. (Looks like Li'l '59 but has Alnico magnet and different coil wind.) 

If they ever bring it out, SD Red Devil For Telecaster.

All of the above are hum-cancelling.

Jalapeno said:
    SD Hot Rails in a Tele should sound awesome. 
    That will give Rock sounds in a guitar that happens to be a Telecaster.

Jalapeno said:
    Not sure if they do Cool Rails for Teles if they're too much.
    No Cool Rails for Tele. There is a wee Hot Rails for the Neck/Rhythm position. I just so happen to have one going spare. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Chopper T works for me!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Chopper T - check out Richie Kotzens Tele 
  • BKP Flat 50 bridge, to be honest I'm still not sold on the matching neck pickup as I think I'd prefer something brighter or at least closer in output to the bridge.  But the bridge does the punchy powerful single coil thing and still sounds like a single coil to me

I really like the bridge pickup under gain, here's a quick clip https://www.dropbox.com/s/z22j7lrbfpkzsc9/Telecaster BKP Flat 50 Clip.mp3?dl=0

• RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    My personal choice. It’s got two levels of winding, effectively two pickups in one.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    My personal choice. It’s got two levels of winding, effectively two pickups in one.
    Looked at the site. Anyone tried the liquidator set?  Like the look of the neck pickup particularly 
  • I just got a set of these in from New Zealand- absolutely delighted. Felt like I was taking a punt just basing it on the demos and what my mate over there said about them but they do it for me. https://mrglynspickups.com/2020/03/29/cruel-mistress-hot-tele-set/