Quick HX stomp question

kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
I'm new to the whole digital amp modeling/FX arena and was just wondering which speaker people use with this thing... Do you use it through an FRFR speaker for live performance or does it sound better going through a valve amp? Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Depends how you want to use it. It will be equally happy modelling an amp & cab and being put straight into FRFR or PA, or DAW, or you can use it as a mini pedalboard and go into a real amp (or modelled one via DAW). Do note you'll run out of DSP far quicker if you use the amp models, which will limit the number of fx you can run. Not necessarily an issue if you just want a dirt and a simple delay, but will give issues with e.g. pitch shifting effects. 

FWIW mine spends most of its time plugged into a Yamaha THR for desk-based practice.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    I use mine in a hybrid.
    1. Direct Out to a poweramp into 2X12 V30 Cab for On stage Volume
    2. to an IR going to FOH and my IEM's

with this set up I get best of both worlds. No need to Mic up my cab and I get a good sound to me and my audience. 
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    edited March 2021
    Let your ears decide which is best to you. Frfr works for some while others prefer power amp and cab. 

I was pleasantly surprised plugging into the fx return of my valve amp and dropping the cab/ir block. It made me set up all my HX Stomp patches with dual paths that mean I can go to my amp, my frfr or foh in any combination depending on the gig or situation. 

My sound felt a little more alive through my amp’s fx return, but I’m totally cool with my frfr. Both scenarios can sound really good with a bit of time spent tweaking. 

There’s no one best or worst - just what’s right for you.