Flexible Drive pedal? Revival drive vs Iridium vs ?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
I could do with another drive pedal for playing in to clean and cleanish amps. 
I have a couple of boost pedals spare so I can push a light/mid gain into higher gain when necessary.

I'd like a pedal that can either give a tweedy or vox low/mid gain and/or  a plexi mid gain so I can boost either.

I was looking at either the revival drive or iridium that I think both can do exactly this - the revival might sound a little better but needs more thought rather than quick tweaks,  the iridium will be faster to setup and has IR's so I can go direct when that is needed.

I'm torn - be great to have room for both Has anyone got experience with using these care to chip or maybe suggest any alternatives -  I did like the magma drive and the new CM plexiranger but not enough gain and maybe not flexible enough.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• One of my favorite drives, for flexibility and tone, is the Drive Factory by Briere Pedals (out of Canada). I've gone through a few dozen drives and prefer this one, but have not worked with the gear you're referring to.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I would not be put off by the amount of controls on the Revival Drive, as this makes it very versatile. The recommended settings in the manual are helpful in dialling in tones. 
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    Revival Drive Compact is great for getting those tones. Its much less complicated than the full sized version as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    edited March 2021
    I don't think the Iridium is designed to work into the front of a guitar amp like a drive pedal is it? Maybe into the return of an FX loop if you turn the IRs off...but you're paying for a lot of stuff you're not using if that's how you want to use it....you'd be getting much more overdrive pedal for your money with the Revival Drive Compact
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Not being funny,  but a Guvnor will do all of this and more.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
    The RD Compact is great and simple, but the full size isn’t really much more complicated. Once you take some time to understand what each switch and knob does, it’s pretty easy to dial in a Fender, Vox or Marshall. Plus, you have have each side set up differently which basically gives you two different pedals/amp sounds. It’s a great, great pedal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks I lean towards a regular revival rather than compact as I could switch between two sounds and boost both.  
    How well does the DR take drives?  
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    I’m a Revivaldrive Custom and Mooer Radar user. They really work a treat for me for direct recording. The RD looks complicated but I’ve found it easy to use once you’re familiar with it. Great on its own into any amp too.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    John_P said:
    Thanks I lean towards a regular revival rather than compact as I could switch between two sounds and boost both.  
    How well does the DR take drives?  
    I use my Revivaldrive with a ‘65 DRRI head live. Really works well for me.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    As said above, not Iridium, it’s an amp sim/IR, thought the Sunset and Riverside sound good if you’re interested in Strymon. I liked The D&M drive as a dual overdrive.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    Box of Rock? 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks for the replies.   I should have been more clear but While I’m also tempted by the duellist I was thinking preamp style that can foot switch amp type.  

I’d run the iridium with the cab sim but then have the option to turn them on if I needed to go direct at any time.  I need to investigate how it sounds bypassing the ir with a real cab.  

Love the sounds I hear from the revival drive but the full size just has too many options for mid gig tweaks - I’d like a quicker to adjust pedal but able to switch between sounds - a compact that could switch between the vox or tweed and plexi style would have been perfect.  

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited March 2021
    If you're after a flexible overdrive, Strymon Sunset. I've been through a few overdrives including the Revival Drive Compact. The Revival Drive is very good but is geared towards replicating an amp. As I always had it set for a Marshall style, I stuck with my Zvex Distortron which does the Marshall thing really well and for a lot less outlay.
    I've yet to come across a Dual Overdrive that is more flexible than the Sunset given all the routing and preset options plus the built-in noise gate if needed.
    Edit: if you're after preamp style, you could always consider 2 preamp pedals and a Boss LS2