Katana players, any tone tips

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited March 2021
    munckee said:
    I had a katana which didn’t sound as good as my thr5 at hone but had the advantage of being loud enough to jam with a drummer. Took it to one jam and it sounded woeful next to the valve amps everyone had...
    Exactly this. My 10W valve amp (Blackstar Studio) blows my K50 away. Not that I think the Blackstar is much, if any, louder but somehow it projects it’s sound better, and stands out much more in the mix.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    andy_k said:
    I had my V1 100 combo out yesterday, to re-familiarise myself with it prior to gigs starting up again, so I'm giving it plenty of time.
    Was intending to try out Katana Librarian,  but didn't have the right cable, so I just had a little jam with it.
    One thing I found a little weird, was if I save a patch to channel one, for example, it sounds a little dull compared to the same settings on panel mode.
    It sounds almost like the patch is saving minus the presence control.
    I had the amp on 'Brown' and all knobs at 12 o clock, no effects apart from reverb, on half watt setting, saved this as patch 1, and then flip back and forth between '1' and 'panel'. The presence is at 12 o clock, but does not seem to be there in the channel 1 setting, 'panel' just seems to sound livelier.
    Weird, but I couldn't be bothered to find out if it is a known issue.
    I'll just have to try and remember to try it next time I have it at gig volume.
    Great amp, no reason a good sound cannot be found.
    Presence used to be global, and not writable to patches, but I can edit it for each patch/channel I’ve found after updating to v4 firmware. 

Master and power control still always global. 

I have an ‘issue’ though now whereby I’ll save all my patches to my channels, all is fine. 

But when I turn the amp on and it loads up the same channel as last used, it sounds messed up. 

I have to change channels and the next channel
    is fine. Change back to the initial channel, its also now fine. 

Some fault finding and using the tone studio to monitor revealed that when the amp is initially turned on, whatever channel was last used (say channel 1), loads up as normal, except the amp ‘see’s’ the physical panel settings of: 

Treble, channel volume and gain. 

Ie my normal channel one clean patch has treble saved at 50, channel vol at 80, gain at 20. 
    Before turning on the amp I set those 3 physical knobs to 9 o clock position, or 20/20/20 as seen in the tone studio settings. 

I turn the amp on and it loads channel 1 straight up cos thats what it was set to when I turned the amp off.

Except as the tone studio also confirms, my channel 1 clean patch loads up with EVERYTHING as it is normally saved regardless of where the amps physical knobs are set on the amp (normal) except those 3 above mentioned knobs! 

If I change channels or change channels then back again its absolutely fine.

Bizarre. I just cant fathom why the amp on one of its channels with a preset patch ‘sees and applies’ those 3 physical panel knobs upon initial start up. The physical panel knobs should only be applied if you alter them whilst on a channel, or select panel mode on the amp.. 

I’m sure this only began happening after I updated to version 4 firmware.

Tried a factory reset, resaved all my patches, no difference. 

Maybe its a v1 katana issue when updating to v4 firmware. 

I have found one other guy online (reddit I think) with the EXACT same thing who also couldnt find a fix.

its not a huge issue but is annoying having to tap dance upon start up.. and make sure the physical knobs arent set high otherwise it can surprise me when I forget..
    like woahh, thats loud and distorted on my clean channel patch! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    I’ve got a Katana Mk2 100 and absolutely love it.
    Can I ask why you’ve not got access to Tone Studio?
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I saw the patch issue mentioned above for the V4 update, not sure what I am on, if it aint broke-don't fix it I say.
    I think the last update I did, doubled up on the available patches via footswitch, so I might have a look if any new features in the V4 update.
  • I had a MK1 and found that I got a good range of overdriven/heavy sounds on the clean channel just using the booster. Takes a bit of dialling in though. Had a play with tone studio and found it had too many options for a simpleton like me! ☺️ 

andy_k said:
    I saw the patch issue mentioned above for the V4 update, not sure what I am on, if it aint broke-don't fix it I say.
    I think the last update I did, doubled up on the available patches via footswitch, so I might have a look if any new features in the V4 update.
    Mm, its weird I’ve only seen one other guy on reddit with the same ‘problem’ if it is one, using a mk1 amp and the version 4. 

I’m not even sure its a version 4 update issue, and tbh I’m not even sure why I updated lol. 

I’m going to shoot Boss support an email tomorrow to see if they come back to me with anything, but if they do I’ll update.
  • damo_89damo_89 Frets: 9
    Mudcrutch said:
    I don’t have a laptop, just phone and iPad, as far as I’m aware there’s no way of using tone studio with IOS?
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    damo_89 said:
    Mudcrutch said:
    I don’t have a laptop, just phone and iPad, as far as I’m aware there’s no way of using tone studio with IOS?
    There's an unofficial Android app that works brilliantly. Better than using proper Tone Studio. 

Worth checking if there's an IOS version? 

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    damo_89 said:
    Mudcrutch said:
    There's an unofficial Android app that works brilliantly. Better than using proper Tone Studio. 

I put the app on my android tablet, Katana Librarian, and was desperate to try it out-seems like a great way to access the software inside the amp without having to lug around a laptop. I don't think I have the required cable though-needs a mini usb to long square connection ( not sure what to call it ), and the app has demo patches, but needs a one time payment of £7.99 to unlock full features. Plenty of presets on there, but can't see full functionality until amp is connected.
    I have a small android tablet, cost under £100, which I use for running my RCF digital mixer and also has the Marshall Code editor for my Code50, I originally got the Katana as a back up amp for the Code as it was playing up in rehearsals and gigs but a software update fixed that and I have had no problems since.
    I got the Katana 100 combo as a live back up, but then also got a head version to use at home in studio, with the foot controller set up permanently.
    The update to allow 8 patches plus panel setting is plenty for me, but it would be nice to have access to the settings outside of a computer program.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    You really need a Boss GA-FC pedal for the Katana.
    No need to lug laptops or pads about You just find the tones and effects your going to use and program them to the GA-FC job done.
    It takes a while to work out and I’ve still not mastered everything but worth doing and good fun learning.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    andy_k said:
    damo_89 said:
    Mudcrutch said:

I put the app on my android tablet, Katana Librarian, and was desperate to try it out-seems like a great way to access the software inside the amp without having to lug around a laptop. I don't think I have the required cable though-needs a mini usb to long square connection ( not sure what to call it ), and the app has demo patches, but needs a one time payment of £7.99 to unlock full features. Plenty of presets on there, but can't see full functionality until amp is connected.
    I have a small android tablet, cost under £100, which I use for running my RCF digital mixer and also has the Marshall Code editor for my Code50, I originally got the Katana as a back up amp for the Code as it was playing up in rehearsals and gigs but a software update fixed that and I have had no problems since.
    I got the Katana 100 combo as a live back up, but then also got a head version to use at home in studio, with the foot controller set up permanently.
    The update to allow 8 patches plus panel setting is plenty for me, but it would be nice to have access to the settings outside of a computer program.

The easiest way is to get a USB OTG adapter, which will go from micro USB or USB Type C (depending on what is on your android device) and then a normal USB Type A to USB Type B cable (Type B is the square one, Type A is normal USB).

I don't own these and am not recommending but what you are looking for is something like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LN3LQKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_3QRWEFJW5WE71VJQ1KD

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01COOQIKU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_VKRSWXT1BFRF1V25NXA8

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NH11KIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_9FJJ54DHN0QRBJ9NJ44M
    The thing is that I should be able to get a decent sound without titting about with Tone Studio - The Red Lion doesn’t have a USB connection for when I want to change things on the fly, so why should I need one?
    I can get a sound I like from a Katana quite easily without Tone Studio. Not so keen on lead channel, but the clean, crunch, and brown are great. 

• jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    I no longer have a Katana and I usually play pretty clean or just breaking.
    I found the series of you tube videos by Paul from The Studio Rats useful.
    I downloaded his preset packs which may be a good stating point.
    See what you think.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I used to use one in rehearsals. I just had it loud and clean and kept the gain low. I let my pedals do the work. Never had a problem in rehearsals and I play with a f****** animal of a drummer. If he’s not had sex that week his volume goes up! 

No idea what they are like at a gig though. 
    skunkwerx said:
    andy_k said:
    Mm, its weird I’ve only seen one other guy on reddit with the same ‘problem’ if it is one, using a mk1 amp and the version 4. 

I’m not even sure its a version 4 update issue, and tbh I’m not even sure why I updated lol. 

I’m going to shoot Boss support an email tomorrow to see if they come back to me with anything, but if they do I’ll update.
    Roland did come back to me fairly quick, but they are purplexed. 
    skunkwerx said:

Roland did come back to me fairly quick, but they are purplexed. 
    Is that like being marooned? ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    Mudcrutch said:
    You really need a Boss GA-FC pedal for the Katana.
    No need to lug laptops or pads about You just find the tones and effects your going to use and program them to the GA-FC job done.
    It takes a while to work out and I’ve still not mastered everything but worth doing and good fun learning.
    In theory yes. However, in practice I found that a preset that worked well in one space was often useless in a different one. I’d rather have a decent sounding amp with fewer controls that is easier to adjust on the hoof.
    I tend to use my Katana as a regular amp. Everything I do I can do on the amp itself in a regular way.

To do that it did take a quick setup first. I just made sure all the effects I wanted were there onboard, with the signal chain I wanted. 

And thanks to the Android app if I need to change anything I can do so in seconds. But in reality I used the Katana now like any normal amp. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    I had a Katana for 2 years.

I think I had it connected to a laptop twice and once was to update the firmware.