Budget strings for set ups

What's Hot

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    WezV said:

I wonder if using a cheap string would just end up needing adjustment again, as things are cheaper because tolerances are lower. 
    This was my experience when I tried cheap strings for this purpose 

Well I'm building myself a parts caster so I guess it is more than just a normal set up as I'm taking strings on and of to change parts check wiring ect. I just need something for testing and to get me in the ballpark of a playable guitar. Fine tuning for a proper set up will come later
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1496
    I bought a 25 set box of D'addarios for setting up guitars that I am going to sell.  It lets me put them back to a set of standard gauge strings and also they sound good.  In the States it cost me about $90, so less than $4 a set.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sorry ICBM but my Legacy strings arrived from strings direct. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16808
    edited March 2021
    phil_b said:
    WezV said:

I wonder if using a cheap string would just end up needing adjustment again, as things are cheaper because tolerances are lower. 
    This was my experience when I tried cheap strings for this purpose 

Well I'm building myself a parts caster so I guess it is more than just a normal set up as I'm taking strings on and of to change parts check wiring ect. I just need something for testing and to get me in the ballpark of a playable guitar. Fine tuning for a proper set up will come later
    Yeah, I just accept I will sacrifice at least one set of strings when building a guitar, and try and get the most out of them.

A couple of quid difference between cheap and decent strings is nothing compared to the cost of a build. 

I would rather use the strings I usually use,so I get the best idea of how the guitar has gone together.  I have put stuff together with cheap strings and spent time chasing non-issues , like redressing nuts and frets because something doesn't quite feel right, only to realise its just the shitty strings throwing me off.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    buying the cheapest strings is only vaguely viable to use on a guitar to get it sold and out the door, every buyer recognises they're going to change the strings to their preferred set  anyway.
    Nasty strings don't make for a good setup in my experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    Cheap and/or old strings are acceptable whilst notching new Tune-o-Matic saddles or whilst fettling nut slots. 

A proper set-up is dependent on the string brand, gauge and materials on which the end user intends to play.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited March 2021
    phil_b said:
    @Mudcrutch ;; I like John Robson YouTube channel. He does seem to like to find a bargain. I bought some vanson pickups off the back of his videos and I liked thoes
    He uses those pickups in his lovely Scott Guitars John Robson custom built signature guitar.
    He got Dan who built it to use them.
    I do like that guitar.
    edited March 2021

phil_b said:
    My latest Strings Direct order just fell on the mat.
    Pretty fast delivery considering order was placed on Saturday and was free P&P via Royal Mail first class.
    I bought four more packs of the Legacy sets to bung in the draw for future use and a set of Legacy Acoustic and Bass strings to try for the first time.
    This is a excellent cheap strings review John did a while back before he discovered Legacy.

phil_b said:
    I’m looking forward to seeing what you think of them?
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    edited March 2021
    Orphee direct from China have always been good and last no differently to any other of the better brands.

I've tried other strings and they don't make me sound any better.

Ten packs on eBay for £13.99 delivered, try them even if you think they are shit afterwards it isn't like you've broken the bank.

edited March 2021
    ICBM said:
    ICBM,
    Do you know Dunsy the excellent guitarist and Scotland rocks radio DJ that lives in Edinburgh?

https://scotlandrocksradio.com/our-shows/

He also has a brilliant fun YouTube channel  Dunsy’s Guitar World.

Mudcrutch said:
    ICBM said:
    ICBM,
    Do you know Dunsy the excellent guitarist and Scotland rocks radio DJ that lives in Edinburgh?

Well I noticed they feel thinner than other strings even though they are supposed to be the same guage. I measured them with my calipers and they are indeed slightly under size to what is stated. But once on the guitar I did not really think about them. So I would say that is a positive as there was nothing detrimental to note. 
    edited March 2021
    phil_b said:
    Mudcrutch said:
    ICBM said:
    ICBM,

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    Mudcrutch said:

ICBM,

No, don’t know him... hard rock and metal isn’t really my thing though.

It’s possible I would recognise some of his equipment though :). At one point I could barely go to a gig around here without seeing something I’d worked on at one time or other! I haven’t worked for any of the shops there for a while though - there are barely even any left :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Mudcrutch said:

phil_b said:
    Pretty fast delivery considering order was placed on Saturday and was free P&P via Royal Mail first class.
    I bought four more packs of the Legacy sets to bung in the draw for future use and a set of Legacy Acoustic and Bass strings to try for the first time.
    This is a excellent cheap strings review John did a while back before he discovered Legacy.

^this is utter bullshit... 

just spoke to stringsdirect on another matter and asked about Monday delivery from a Saturday order (coz I’m a c&£t like that)

and I quote 

“there is no service we use that will deliver Monday if you order on a Saturday”

I am well and truly done with this now... flag away all you like dude!... just stop with the BS posting... 
  • poopot said:
    Mudcrutch said:

phil_b said:

just spoke to stringsdirect on another matter and asked about Monday delivery from a Saturday order (coz I’m a c&£t like that)

and I quote 

“there is no service we use that will deliver Monday if you order on a Saturday”

I am well and truly done with this now... flag away all you like dude!... just stop with the BS posting... 
    I won't watch that review but do the HB strings come out of it well.

poopot said:
    Mudcrutch said:

phil_b said:

and I quote 

I'm not sure what the problem is here. I ordered strings from strings direct and I received them. I can't remember exactly what day I put in the order but I never claimed I got them on Monday after ordering on Saturday

But I did find if you need strings fast you can get next day delivery from amazon prime if you order before the cut off time
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    @phil_b  wasn’t aimed at you fella, sorry you got quoted in that... :)
    edited March 2021
    poopot said:
    Mudcrutch said:

phil_b said:

and I quote 

I am well and truly done with this now... flag away all you like dude!... just stop with 
    poopot said:
    Mudcrutch said:

phil_b said:

and I quote 

Poopot you are a real nasty stalking piece of work.
    I shouldn’t have to keep explaining myself and putting up with your constant abuse.

Again just can’t help yourself crapping on my posts and threads today and calling me a liar yet again.?

Well I just changed my avatar to my Strings Direct order invoice so everyone on here can see it
    Ordered Saturday arrived Monday Royal Mail First Class Post .
    This is what’s on the box label.
    Special Delivery Courier International 24 .
    Track and trace.
    This was a free P&P order.