Cutaways on Acoustics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1694
    In terms of shape affecting sound, didn't someone (Takamine?) try to calculate the best sounding shape but they didn't look cool so no one bought them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    DannyP said:
    In terms of shape affecting sound, didn't someone (Takamine?) try to calculate the best sounding shape but they didn't look cool so no one bought them?
    During their early development, Charles Kaman of Ovation claimed to have equalled the sound of the Martin D-45.

:D

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewyLewy Frets: 4372
    ICBM said:
    DannyP said:
    During their early development, Charles Kaman of Ovation claimed to have equalled the sound of the Martin D-45.

:D
    I wonder why he said a D-45 as opposed to a D-28...does Abalone affect tone? ;)

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1992
    Does it make that much difference to bedroom and recreational players to really matter? I mean,I can understand these things if you are a professional musician or a recording artist but to most guitarists I'm sure it really doesn't matter that much,no?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5635
    edited March 2021
    If we only talked about Things That Really Matter, Guitarjack, this forum would be lucky to get one post a week.

Outside the forum, the Ridcully Rule is often appropriate. Only pay attention to urgent and important things. Anything anyone has time to write down can't be urgent, and  if no-one is shouting it's obviously not important.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Does it make that much difference to bedroom and recreational players to really matter? I mean,I can understand these things if you are a professional musician or a recording artist but to most guitarists I'm sure it really doesn't matter that much,no?
    It's more to do with the way you want to use an acoustic guitar. If everything you play is accessible within a non cutaway format, a cutaway is something that happens to be there. Both professionals and amateurs, performers and home players will be needing different things, according to their musical preferences, and not because they are pro or amateur. I'm a pro and some of the players who I consider to be way better than me are by definition amateur, though remains amateur (that's a life choice, not a level of ability ). If it sound good the way you play, it is good, regardless of received opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom