Sorted

What's Hot
NCoNCo Frets: 168
edited July 2021 in Making & Modding
Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 LP Studio, and I'd like to replace the chrome tuners.

Looking at the Gibson legacy  website it strictly says 'Grover Kidneys'. I tried looking online but I haven't found the exact model.

1)Does anyone know the exact tuner model on these?
2)Any recommendations for good tuners with modern mounting diameter? Looking for a set that fits right in without any additional drilling, and vintage style keys.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14843
    edited March 2021
    NCo said:
    I have a 2018 LP Studio

1)Does anyone know the exact tuner model on these?

2)Any recommendations for good tuners with modern mounting diameter? Looking for a set that fits right in without any additional drilling, and vintage style keys.
    The photographs that I can find online of the 2018 LP Studio do, indeed, illustrate Grover "kidney button" enclosed gear machineheads. This is a vintage design, dating back decades.

The two issues with replacing Grovers are the diameter of the hole through the headstock and the position of the locator lug and screw. The only design that will drop in without new drilling is another based on the Grover. (e.g. Schaller.)

If, by vintage, you mean Kluson "keystone" type tuners, this will involve the drilling of at least six new screw holes. Get the variant with a washer and hex nut fastening. Push-in ferrule/bushings probably will not fit - not even the adapter version.

Schaller and Grover both make replacement tuners that combine Grover-style gear housings with Kluson "keystone" style buttons.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NCoNCo Frets: 168
    Hi,

Thank you for the detailed response!

Do you know what model those kidney beans are? I tried typing it in Thomann, Google, etc and received several different models. The reason I am asking is so I can understand the mounting diameter and buy a suitable replacement.

By vintage I mean the keys only - Tulip shaped and either green or ivory, metal kidney keys are a major turn off for me.

Would the Schaller/Grover replacement tuners slot right in? Would you happen to know any model name?

Thanks again.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    The only tuners that will fit properly and have green plastic keys are the Grover, Schaller, Tone Pros etc (lots of different varieties of essentially the same design) ‘Kluson type’ with a threaded front collar and washer. As Funkfingers said these will need six more screw holes drilling, but they will fit otherwise. Unfortunately, they’re not great as tuners really - they’re not especially accurate and have a tendency to come apart if knocked.

An alternative - you can get replacement keys for the Grovers. I’m not sure you can get plastic keystone/tulip ones, but you can definitely get metal keystones, or smaller kidney-shape ones in a variety of materials including plastic (various colours) and wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If that's the case I'd need to replace the tuners with the exact same type but nickel, the replace the keys.

That can work!

All that remains is to identify the exact model so I can purchase a nickel set.
    NCo said:
    If that's the case I'd need to replace the tuners with the exact same type but nickel, the replace the keys.

That can work!

All that remains is to identify the exact model so I can purchase a nickel set.
    Why? Just replace the keys.

I might even have a set of metal keystones, I'll have a look.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Because the tuners are chrome, and I can't stand it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    NCo said:
    Because the tuners are chrome, and I can't stand it!
    In that case just get the Kluson-like tulip type, there's no point in replacing them with more Rotomatics and then changing the keys to something that isn't exactly what you want anyway.

The ones you want are Grover 135N, Schaller G Series Keystone SR or DR (if you prefer two rings on the keys), TonePros TKPG3, or you can even get Gibson-branded ones...

Funny lot, guitarists ;).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    NCo said:
    the tuners are chrome and I can't stand it!
    The chrome layer's connected to the … nickel layer.

The nickel layer's connected to the … copper layer.

The copper layer's connected to the metal layer.

Now, hear de fizz of the etching acid.

Seriously. It is possible to gently dissolve away the shiny chrome electroplating and expose the nickel beneath. (I did precisely this with a set of GraphTech Stringsaver saddles for FR vibrato. They don't offer them in Nickel.) The acid solution needs to be relatively dilute. Check on progress often. Rinse thoroughly afterwards. 
    Belay that.

Unfasten one of your Grovers. Read the embossed characters on the hidden side of the gear housing. 

I have a lightly used set of Grover 135N 3-per-side 'heads. (The modern import type.) I am willing to make a direct swap.