Alternative to Guitarist magazine?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6904
    Just get Readly, then you can decide on any of them each month.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11952
    mrkb said:
    good idea
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    greejn said:
    Guitar Player, on Zinio as it's much cheaper. Not as good as it used to be but still worth reading.
    I had a digital subscription, I think it was about £10 per year. I could open it in my kindle app then they changed the format and I couldn’t save it. Still leans a lot on blues and classic rock but more interviews and features and less gear oriented that Guitarist. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4195
    I want one to read that’s like Guitar world was in the 80s  that is the pinnacle of gun tar literature 
      The letters page  where  people would slag each other off or artists they didn’t like  illustrated with hilarious characatures , interviews and articles on all the top shredders and proper rock stars 
    like warren de martini,Joe Perry ,Evh , George Lynch , nightranger ,Slash, Kirk Hammet , 

and intriguing ads for things never heard of in the Uk , plus gear reviews , tuition from same rock stars in interview ,  adverts with comely vixens draped over   superstrats   Every issue was a treasure of information , fortunately I have a huge collection to keep me going of mid to late 80s and early 90s issues
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    Funkfingers said:
    One major trend in recent years has been the vast increase in the number female guitarists. There really ought to be a music gear magazine, written by women, for women, giving a feminine perspective. On that basis, Guitarist is already several years behind the times.
    Must confess it's not a destination website for me, but https://sheshreds.com/ exists.

Fretboard Journal's podcasts are worth your time, @ToneControl, even if you don't want to subscribe to the mag. Lots of good stuff between the main one and Luthier on Luthier. The amps and recording ones are less up my street.

They've also started a series all about Breedlove, for which Breedlove is presumably paying. Just one episode so far, but Tom Bedell's schoolboy-entrepreneur story is crazy.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3596
    I like https://www.guitarmoderne.com/. ..but it's pretty niche. Also the Premier Guitar site. 

'Guitar' is ok but clearly going down the 'paid promotion' route, judging by the Anna Calvi article's heavy emphasis on the 'Fender American Pro II'.

To be honest, no current magazine can hold a candle to eighties/nineties Guitar Player. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    barnstorm said:
    Funkfingers said:
    One major trend in recent years has been the vast increase in the number female guitarists. There really ought to be a music gear magazine, written by women, for women, giving a feminine perspective. On that basis, Guitarist is already several years behind the times.
    Must confess it's not a destination website for me, but https://sheshreds.com/ exists.

Fretboard Journal's podcasts are worth your time, @ToneControl, even if you don't want to subscribe to the mag. Lots of good stuff between the main one and Luthier on Luthier. The amps and recording ones are less up my street.

They've also started a series all about Breedlove, for which Breedlove is presumably paying. Just one episode so far, but Tom Bedell's schoolboy-entrepreneur story is crazy.

Guitar Player had ( I haven't read it for a while ) a monthly column by Sue Foley on spotlighting female guitarists, a mix of the relatively contemporary and those you might have overlooked ( Deborah Coleman and Rosetta Tharpe come to mind). Still be articles on female guitarists more in the headlines as well.  
    [ random example on my ipad is GP Nov 2019 with a main article on Samantha Fish and a Sue Foley column on Nikki O'Neil ( one of the TrueFire instructors) so still within that classic rock/ blues wheelhouse]  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    mrkb said:
    good idea
    I use this. So, I regularly read all the guitar mags on it, all the bass mags, and all the computer music type stuff as well. Marvellous. Some of the american guitar mags are OK too, all on Readly.

I stopped my sub to Guitarist years ago. There is only so much you need to read about Joe Bonamassa.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    I want one to read that’s like Guitar world was in the 80s  that is the pinnacle of gun tar literature 
      The letters page  where  people would slag each other off or artists they didn’t like  illustrated with hilarious characatures , interviews and articles on all the top shredders and proper rock stars 
    like warren de martini,Joe Perry ,Evh , George Lynch , nightranger ,Slash, Kirk Hammet , 

and intriguing ads for things never heard of in the Uk , plus gear reviews , tuition from same rock stars in interview ,  adverts with comely vixens draped over   superstrats   Every issue was a treasure of information , fortunately I have a huge collection to keep me going of mid to late 80s and early 90s issues

I always perfered "Guitar for the practicing musician" as i though they always had a better selection of transcriptions, but Big hair Wiz for all your other pionts which GFTPM also shared

Someone did post an archive for a lot of those mags a while back which had PDF's of some i was missing as it was a bit hit or miss if any of my local newsagents had it in from month to (bi) month, i'll see if i can find it.

mrkb said:
    good idea
    I’ve found a good way to be able to save/print any articles/tuition bits from readly on IPad.

1 take a screenshot of all the relevant pages.
    2 select the images in Photos app, and send them to Books (this creates a pdf file using each image as a full-size page)
    3 print or email to your pc to store in relevant folder.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 992
    mrkb said:
    Cheers @mrkb ;
    Ive been meaning to try this out for a while now. Can you read old/back issues or are the monthly magazines only valid from the time you sign up?
    duotone said:
    mrkb said:
    Cheers @mrkb ;
    Ive been meaning to try this out for a while now. Can you read old/back issues or are the monthly magazines only valid from the time you sign up?
    All the past issues that were published in Readly are there to read - probably about four or five years worth. The search feature is great as well, type in EVH and it will find all the articles with EVH in them in any magazine in their database (including the foreign ones if thats setup in the filter). I think its a bargain for £8 a month (for upto 5 family members I think)!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Heres my code if anyone facies a free month (and I get one free as well)

https://get.readly.com/WNYo3UUWSVRHAEvM
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Great I’m going to sign up. Am really impressed with the selection available. Good to know how useful the advanced search feature can be. Cheers!
    mrkb said:

Cheers I’ve used this now, hopefully you get your extra month.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    A good but simple feature of Readly is Bookmarks.  If you want to remember to go back to an article.  Just go back into bookmarks and you don’t have to go searching for which mag it might have been in, and what month.  Find that really useful for pieces that I’m practising. Although a screens hit works just as well, lol

great value
    Bookmarks feature is good, but saved screenshots still work if you end your subscription or if you want a paper print out, or to email to someone else. And I only have a 9" ipad mini, so can make pages bigger if needed..
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11952
    mrkb said:

ah, I already registered for the trial, sorry