Correct resistance for pots with EMG pickups? Not 150k and 500k?

What's Hot
I just got a guitar with EMGs
The volume pot is 150k
Tone pot is 500k

It loses a lot of treble as you turn the volume down
And the tone control only works between zero and 1, and then nothing more

I read that 25k for both is the correct value, and that the volume would lose treble like a normal passive volume control if a higher resistance is used

Should I complain / replace these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    Yes. They’re meant to be 25K (log).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123
    ICBM said:
    ta
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14843
    At various times, Seymour Duncan has supplied anything from 25 to 100k. The latter was with the long-discontinued Active EQ series bass guitar pickups with the little built-in switches.

The solderless™ pots supplied with EMG HZ high impedance pickups look outwardly similar to the 25k ones. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ICBM said:
    ta
    the volume pot goes up a bit in resistance at the centre of travel, I assume the circuit preceding it is having an effect

I reckon I should return it, thanks for the advice
    At various times, Seymour Duncan has supplied anything from 25 to 100k. The latter was with the long-discontinued Active EQ series bass guitar pickups with the little built-in switches.

The solderless™ pots supplied with EMG HZ high impedance pickups look outwardly similar to the 25k ones. 
    It's a Harley Benton upmarket guitar, about £450 - so very well made but I think the guys working on my one did not know what spec pot to use
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11780
    tFB Trader
    If the guitar is good - get a couple of 25k  pots and get it sorted

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

If the guitar is good - get a couple of 25k  pots and get it sorted
    how much would it cost to get that done professionally?
    edited March 2021
    So this is a new Harley Benton, which comes with EMGs but completely wrong pot values?

Why would they do that? Presumably they must have a job lot of spare pots they need to use up... since the purchase price of new ones isn’t dependant on the resistance value.

It does show the possible pitfalls of cheap guitars, despite being amazing value for money in most ways.

Probably about £30 to £50 depending on who does it. There’s roughly half an hour to an hour’s work and up to a tenner in parts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited March 2021
    ICBM said:
    So this is a new Harley Benton, which comes with EMGs but completely wrong pot values?

Why would they do that? Presumably they must have a job lot of spare pots they need to use up... since the purchase price of new ones isn’t dependant on the resistance value.

It does show the possible pitfalls of cheap guitars, despite being amazing value for money in most ways.

Probably about £30 to £50 depending on who does it. There’s roughly half an hour to an hour’s work and up to a tenner in parts.
    I'm guessing that the guys on the production line in Indonesia are not familiar with EMGs, and just used the standard alpha pots

I like everything else about the guitar, other than it has a near-matt finish. The website said satin, I'd prefer gloss really, but the photo looked OK. Says flamed maple veneer, but there is no 3D appearance

this is the Thomann website photo
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ToneControl said:

I'm guessing that the guys on the production line in Indonesia are not familiar with EMGs, and just used the standard alpha pots
    Except that 150K is not a standard value for any guitar.

ICBM said:
    ToneControl said:

Except that 150K is not a standard value for any guitar.
    I know, so either that is a mistake, or inaccurate because of the fact that I measured the resistance of the pot in circuit, I have not unsoldered it. I was guessing that the pickup impedance brings the total down

These EMG pickups are 3k output impedance should the impedance be around 3k across the volume pot?
    edited March 2021
    ToneControl said:

I know, so either that is a mistake, or inaccurate because of the fact that I measured the resistance of the pot in circuit, I have not unsoldered it. I was guessing that the pickup impedance brings the total down

These EMG pickups are 3k output impedance should the impedance be around 3k across the volume pot?
    No, it doesn't work like that with active pickups. When there's no power it should measure effectively open circuit, so you will read the pot resistance... unless these are different from normal. Possible.

Do the pots have any marking?

• WezVWezV Frets: 17027
    edited March 2021
     Says flamed maple veneer, but there is no 3D appearance

Does yours look like that?   

They have done a black stain on the veneer. This can make the flame look more defined, but kills any chatoyancy the wood had.   Edit, if the wood has less figure, it can just look muddy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
     Says flamed maple veneer, but there is no 3D appearance

Does yours look like that?   

They have done a black stain on the veneer. This can make the flame look more defined, but kills any chatoyancy the wood had.   Edit, if the wood has less figure, it can just look muddy
    It looks less shiny and darker than that photo.
     I took some photos, they all look brighter and have more contrast than when you are looking at the guitar.
    Compared to a gloss maple veneer of the same colour, it remind me of a colour inkjet printout on plain paper.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17027
    i think it will always look like that with a finish like this.
    WezV said:
    i think it will always look like that with a finish like this.
    I can believe it. It's not awful, I just think gloss would look better
    edited March 2021
    The H-B Amarok specification states EMG Retro-active Hot 70s open-bobbin humbuckers. 

2 x A25k pots. 

In aftermarket pairs, the Solderless™  tone control is the 4-pin Passive version.

If you are changing the pots yourself, get the active 5-pin VLPF. Apart from anything else, this could easily be changed to an -SPC mid booster or one of the level booster accessories.
    The H-B Amarok
    Amarok?

I hope they paid Mike Oldfield for that...

The Amarok series consists of seven string and 27" scale baritone six string Rawk beasts. 

My two penn'orth is that H-B has never heard of Oldfield.
    The H-B Amarok specification states EMG Retro-active Hot 70s open-bobbin humbuckers. 

2 x A25k pots. 

In aftermarket pairs, the Solderless™  tone control is the 4-pin Passive version.

If you are changing the pots yourself, get the active 5-pin VLPF. Apart from anything else, this could easily be changed to an -SPC mid booster or one of the level booster accessories.
    I can see what you mean but this is a baritone, so if anything, the scoop EXG  EQ would produce some additional usable sounds I suspect?
    It's very growly with no EQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom