Jaguar '50s and '60s sports cars - interview with the test driver

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2300
this is wonderful if you have an interest in the fantastic Jaguar '50s and '60s sports cars. This guy was the main test driver.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Bookmarked to watch later, cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Lot more enjoyable than Clarkson.
    Love those old Jags.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31637
    I'll watch this later. My ex-father-in-law was an official photographer for Jaguar during the Hawthorne era, in fact when she was about four my missus was given sixpence by Enzo Ferrari. 

I spent a good part of the 1990s restoring vintage Jaguar racing engines, so there's a good chance I recommissioned one or two in the video too. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    Really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2300

I love Jags. I haven't owned one yet. Not those kind of funds free.

My Dad worked for Jaguar at Browns Lane for a few years. Unfortunately it was when Ford owned it. Real Jaguar workers there absolutely HATED Ford. They were working from a totally different hymn sheet. What a mistake that ownership was. Tragic.

When I was growing up there used to be an ex-Jaguar mechanic nearby and he had a side workshop to his house where he restored E-Types, so there were always a handful of them in his yard in various states. I used to love walking past and he'd occasionally chat a bit but he really didn't like being interrupted by kids.

One of my Dad's church friends was the MD of a parts company and he had a silver Daimler Double Six. He was a nice old guy, used to lift the bonnet of the engine bay and talk about the engine. Massive complex V12. To me aged about 10 it was like a spaceship engine. He gave me a couple of fun motorway trips in that machine while he smoked a cigar and talked about his "Whispering Rocket". Leather, walnut chrome and absolutely ridiculous power. Amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    edited March 2021
    Thks for posting. Will take a look.

Great character Norman and always happy to chat about cars, racing etc. Did much to help grow the jaguar brands and maybe responsible for a speed limit being put on the M1 when they testing their cars lol
    That jaguar v12 was a beautiful engine. Used to be one on display in the AMP Plant in Bideford  always wanted to steal it lol

Sadly Norman passed away 2019 and will be much missed by all petrolheads