Luthier who uses reclaimed wood

What's Hot
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a luthier who uses reclaimed wood. I'd like to commission a rustic/barn/pine/natural/etc tele with Filtertrons and a Bigsby. Slight bonus for London area but really anywhere is fine.

(Apologies if this has already been covered; I couldn't find this exact question in any search results or the luthier thread)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2719
    Richard Meyrick advertises himself as using sustainable woods, he might be willing to do something with reclaimed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi there,
    This guy is based in Leigh On Sea, Essex so not far from London. Uses reclaimed woods: https://www.leightonsguitarshop.com/

Not bought a guitar from him (yet) but he does my set ups and always does and excellent job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16301
    Only one place to go if distance isn't an issue
    RICK KELLY........Carmine Street Guitars .....the Guru of old reclaimed wood guitars
    the famous maker of Pine and Sugar Pine teles from 300 year old bridges,and the bar tops of some of New York's most famous hotels/bars
    Thick,truss rod free necks and natural wood finishes
    Makes for Bob Dylan, Bill Kirchin etc
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Theres a great documentary about Ricks Carmine St shop and his guitars - well worth a watch.   Lovely old overhead pin router in one of the scenes ! 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11780
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    Dominic said:
    Only one place to go if distance isn't an issue
    RICK KELLY........Carmine Street Guitars .....the Guru of old reclaimed wood guitars
    the famous maker of Pine and Sugar Pine teles from 300 year old bridges,and the bar tops of some of New York's most famous hotels/bars
    Thick,truss rod free necks and natural wood finishes
    Makes for Bob Dylan, Bill Kirchin etc
    Hmmm - had a couple in our workshop and they are something on an acquired taste and of "variable quality"
    The best bit was the good quality hardware and pickups

PeteC said:
    Theres a great documentary about Ricks Carmine St shop and his guitars - well worth a watch.   
    It was a nice film clip and gave off a lot of atmosphere.
    My uncle was keen to show it to me but was surprised to find that I was less than enthusiastic about the actual product itself 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• shmageggyshmageggy Frets: 28
    Thanks for the suggestions, both for builders and for viewing materials! I've seen the Rick Kelly doc and it's a fun watch. However I think there are enough talented builders in this hemisphere that I'd rather support someone local-ish. Who knows, maybe someday I could even visit and pick up a guitar in person (*gasp!*)

Leighton looks like it might be a great fit, thanks for the suggestion. I'll reach out to him.