Clicking in my nuts,,yet my slot is quite loose and various other unintentional double entedres..

What's Hot
The nut slot is wide enough,when string bending a click is heard..
When I get near the nut string bending it is really quite loud..
This is on the G string on one of my Strats,but I have another it is on the D string,another Strat..
When I check the slot by moving the string across it,,it feels like there is a ridge on the bottom of the nut slot..
This is on the G string,I haven't checked the D on the other Strat for this..
I have nut files but the slots are the perfect height..
I'm thinking maybe a bit of Wet and Dry paper,but how to keep a shape in it..
A nut file and Wet and Dry perhaps..
I'm sure there must be a quick and simple way..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17027
    I would use the file.   It doesn't matter if they are the perfect height if they are not perfectly cut. 

You might get lucky and it only take s a swipe.  If it does go too low try the baking powder and superglue trick

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    That sounds like the slot has been cut with a hacksaw blade, with the ‘set’ in the teeth still present. It will leave a ridge in the middle.

I’ve had some success fixing this, when you neither want to make the groove deeper or replace the nut (eg on a vintage guitar where it’s original) by carefully scraping the centre ridge off with a scalpel blade moved from side to side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom