shallow rack case suggestion

I want a rack case for some gear that's pretty shallow for the studio, I've found loads of 4u shallow plastic cases which are 'fine' from people like gator, but I want something 8-10-12u (10 would be perfect but 8 or 12 fine also) and I want it to be the standard flight case type layout, on castors would be even better, but everything seems to need to be custom made. 

Anyone have any idea on who may stock these types of cases in stock rather than a huge custom build uplift ?

Studio gear is never full depth so I thought this would have been a normal type of requirement for studios.

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    darcym said:
    I want a rack case for some gear that's pretty shallow for the studio, I've found loads of 4u shallow plastic cases which are 'fine' from people like gator, but I want something 8-10-12u (10 would be perfect but 8 or 12 fine also) and I want it to be the standard flight case type layout, on castors would be even better, but everything seems to need to be custom made. 

Anyone have any idea on who may stock these types of cases in stock rather than a huge custom build uplift ?

Studio gear is never full depth so I thought this would have been a normal type of requirement for studios.

Thanks

If you want a shallow rack case then Flightcase Warehouse are good value.
    I've had a couple of their road cases for the last 5 years or ago and they are still together.
    They will make custom depths if you need it.

In the studio I have a mix of Argosy, Studioracks and Buso Audio for racking.
    Some studio isn't full depth but the pro end gear generally is- I reckon 75% of my outboard  is over 30cm deep.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    I couldn't find any in flight case warehouse that where in stock as they are normally my go to.

I've got a full depth rack and I want to use my space better (as I have more gear than rack so need a new rack) and split my full / shallow items into separate racks rather than add another full size rack that's just wasting space.

• SKB do shallow rack cases but not sure if they go up to 12
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    darcym said:
    I couldn't find any in flight case warehouse that where in stock as they are normally my go to.

I've got a full depth rack and I want to use my space better (as I have more gear than rack so need a new rack) and split my full / shallow items into separate racks rather than add another full size rack that's just wasting space.

They can usually build them within a few days.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    darcym said:

Thanks

Studios tend not to have flightcase style racks a lot of the time, and extra tall shallow racks probably wouldn't be super stable on castors because of the footprint and where the centre of gravity would sit. I think that's probably why it's not such a common product. Any of the custom builders would be able to hook you up though - Flightcase Warehouse, NSP, Castle, or Adlib Audio (my local lot and highly recommended) would all be able to do you something to suit. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3719

I also think that stability could be an issue.  I've got one of these on order at present.

4u, 21cm depth.  4u is the biggest that they make in shallow depth, I already have a 3u and a 2u.  My intention is to stack the 3 & 4u in a live application, I don't think that I'd be happy stacking all three.  The problem is that, especially with shallow gear, the centre of gravity of the whole system is already very close to the front.  It only takes a small tilt to move the CoG beyond the footprint meaning that you tip over.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    I'd not considered the stability that is a great point, probably ned to think more about it and stop being so tight with space.

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3719
    edited March 2021
    If this is for studio only, i.e. you won't be taking it out of the house, then a rack is probably the easiest piece of DIY woodwork that you could imagine.  I'm the greatest bodger on the planet but I've built several racks over the years.    You just need to build a wooded box (you don't even need front and back, just sides) and some rack rails;

You can use something like pine shelves from B&Q and they will even cut them to length for you.  Once the rack gear is installed this will give you most of your rigidity.

You can angle the rails back slightly to improve CoG, but remember that you'll need space below the bottom rack place.