Buying a used car for delivery...distance selling rules apply?

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1473
So, on my hunt for a used car, we've come across a very nice looking Skoda Rapid. (I say nice, it's a bit uninspiring, but not at all offensive). 

It's got less than 40k, one owner from new, FSH, and from the photos looks like it's in absolutely mint condition. Comes with 6 months Autoguard warranty which means any problems can be fixed locally by any garages that use autoguard, and sorted with warranty provider accordingly (rather than driving all the way back to the garage) and can be delivered to me at home if I wanted to buy it (as it's in Hounslow and I'm in Gloucester). Bloke on the phone was very nice, up front and was happy to arrange a video viewing, which I'll end up doing if we wanted to proceed. 

But just wanted to check with the legal eagles of the forum as to whether distance selling rules apply to second hand cars? I'm assuming not? I'm not stupid enough to think that *something* could go wrong with any used car I purchase, but just want to check what comeback I would have (if any), which means I can buy with a bit more confidence without actually inspecting the car in person. I would ensure I got views of tyres, brakes, under the bonnet and all the usual bits to look for signs of any wear but it honestly looks like it's never been sat in, so I suspect it's been owned by some older person/people who have looked after it. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    I don’t know anything about the legal side but if it’s that clean and low mileage it’s possibly an ex motability scheme car. Worth finding out, it’s good news if it is as they tend to be well maintained as part of the package and usually not abused. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1473
    boogieman said:
    I don’t know anything about the legal side but if it’s that clean and low mileage it’s possibly an ex motability scheme car. Worth finding out, it’s good news if it is as they tend to be well maintained as part of the package and usually not abused. 
    Yep, this is what I was thinking and was next on my list to ask. It was bought and returned to the same Skoda dealership when the owner upgraded - and that's where this small dealer bought it from. 

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's old man silver and it's only got the 85bhp turbo engine, rather than the 105bhp that some of the later models had. 

Lovely, thank you for that. Very useful. 
  • joneve said:

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's old man silver 

Silver is the lowest maintenance (ie maintenance in terms of washing) car colour I've ever owned.  Wash them once a year... and they look clean - or, at worst, vaguely clean - for another 12 months or so.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Might be worth asking whether the previous owner was a smoker or a dog owner.  A video viewing won't tell you if the car smells a bit rough.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Ex motability cars will be hit and miss.

Whilst they can be cleaned up and painted the state of some cars that came to us were horrendous.

I refused to get in some and got the trainee to move them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    joneve said:
    boogieman said:
    Yep, this is what I was thinking and was next on my list to ask. It was bought and returned to the same Skoda dealership when the owner upgraded - and that's where this small dealer bought it from. 

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's old man silver and it's only got the 85bhp turbo engine, rather than the 105bhp that some of the later models had. 

85bhp sounds a bit underpowered!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    DanR said:
    Ex motability cars will be hit and miss.

Whilst they can be cleaned up and painted the state of some cars that came to us were horrendous.

I refused to get in some and got the trainee to move them.
    Mum had a Motabilty car, she pranged it that many times that she has to take out her own Insurance policy ! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Might be worth asking whether the previous owner was a smoker or a dog owner.  A video viewing won't tell you if the car smells a bit rough.
    Smoked in or dog owner is the least of your worries........ex-motability probably stinks of human piss !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    joneve said:

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's old man silver 

Silver is the lowest maintenance (ie maintenance in terms of washing) car colour I've ever owned.  Wash them once a year... and they look clean - or, at worst, vaguely clean - for another 12 months or so.

I've had 'Old man silver ' on a number of cars.........they were all capable of exceeding 'old man' speeds of 185 mph on the Nurburgring/Nordschleife ............
    Silver is the smartest car colour for any car 
    Might be worth asking whether the previous owner was a smoker or a dog owner.  A video viewing won't tell you if the car smells a bit rough.
    Already asked. Dog and smoke free. 

Sent a rather detailed 6 minute video showing wear on brake pads (literally new), tyres (pretty new) the kerbing on the alloys on passenger side (not shocking) and few stone chips. Even video’d it being driven haha. 

Also sent through photos of all service receipts. Not done by main dealer but not too concerned. Owners name was Roy, so clearly an old bloke. No young’un is called Roy are they. 
    wibble said:
    joneve said:
    boogieman said:

85bhp sounds a bit underpowered!
    Bit pokey, aye but it’s only to get me too and from work and the lad to nursery.