SSS to HSS advice

What's Hot
BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
I'm thinking of modding my strat from SSS to HSS. I play just regular rock type stuff, not really into thrash.
What bridge hb would you guys recommend?
Also would you go with a full size humbucker or a hot rails type sc sized?
Would I still be able to make use of the S1 switch, and could I add a toggle like the Elite strat HSS had stock?
I'll be better getting this done professionally I think
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    Ask 100 guitarists for a pickup recommendation and you will get 100 different answers, and there's not really enough information here to narrow it down:

- what's your definition of "regular rock stuff"? 

- what amp are you playing through and how is it voiced?

- how does your guitar sound naturally? Is it really dark-sounding and wouldn't like a similarly dark pickup, or is it thin and needs a warmer pickup to balance it out?

- what are the stock single coil pickups like, in terms of voice and output? You'll need to consider whether you want the humbucker to balance with them or if you're happy for your bridge sound to give you a kick compared to the neck/middle.

Full-size vs SC-size is personal choice - a factor might be whether the guitar is routed for a full size humbucker already and whether or not you want to modify your scratchplate or get a new one to accomodate a humbucker. If not, then the SC-size has an obvious advantage. They do sound different though, and that's not to everyone's taste, and there are fewer SC-size humbuckers available than there are full-size.

Yes, almost anything will work with the S1 switch - it's an incredibly capable switching device - but wiring them up is a nightmare and most likely best left to a professional, as they're very complicated compare to your "standard" switch or push-pull. But yes, provided you get a 4-conductor wired humbucker, a split or tap should be possible.

Tim
  •  Once you've decided on a pickup, before paying to get it installed by a pro you should hit up @sixstringsupplies - they make pre-wired harnesses and kits I've found them to be really helpful and approachable on these types of questions. Here is their standard HSS wiring diagram and I'm sure they'd be able to help you on the S1 bit. https://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/super-strat-hss
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I think the question depends on if your guitar is routed for a full size humbucker and if you want to replace the whole scratch plate and all the wiring.

If you just want to do the simplest thing then replace the existing bridge pickup with a single coil rail type pickup. They do sound good, but not exactly the same as a full size humbucker.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    @BlueStrat, ; I've done a couple of conversions as you describe minus the S1 switch and had no problems. I fitted Tonerider Alnico II & IV 'buckers with coil splits and found the latter to be marginally the best. I had tried an Lil '59 equipped strat and it just didn't sound as 'open' as a full sized humbucker to me, however the owner demo'd it and it and I have to confess, it really did sound pretty good. Obviously down to me then.      
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    The simplest thing to do is use a rail/SC-size mini-humbucker and wire it exactly like a single coil - don't worry about coil-splitting it or anything. That will work fine with the S1 switch and all you have to do is connect it in the same places. The only slight difference will be that the ground (bare) wire goes directly to ground and not to the pickup cold connection if those aren't the same thing.

If you do want to use a full-size humbucker then you may want a different switching setup with the S1, and then it becomes quite complicated.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I have SD humbuckers on a couple of HSS strats; on one it's just humbucker and on the other it's got a Freeway switch to give SC/HB and also neck+bridge settings.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    I would build yourself a fresh loaded pick guard. Leave the original one intact so  can revert the guitar back to original very easily. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    As already mentioned, the decision begins by checking the pickup cavities to determine what aftermarket products might fit WITHOUT resorting to wordwork.

The second question is how much of a volume difference are you willing to accept between the stock single coils and your chosen upgrade? (If your neck and centre pickups read c. 6.0k Ohms, a bridge pickup of 9 to 12k would balance pretty nicely without coil splittage.) From the Seymour Duncan range, you are looking at the Red Devil and Li'l Screamin' Demon. DiMarzio does some nice "Rails" pickups too.

Some replacement pickups are fussy about the volume pot resistance value. 

I would avoid the S-1 switching pot like the plague. The more experience I have of them, the less I like them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Echoing everyone check the pickup cavity.
    Secondly establish what you actually use the S1 switch for
    Thirdly either: wire a hot rails in its all you need or buy ready wired  HSS scratch plate wire it in and use it .
    Forthly go back to original configuration and buy another HSS or HH guitar

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • As above really

If you wanted to keep SSS, I’ve got a Seymour Duncan Lil Screamin Demon in my parts box that’s an easy low cost option. It balances a bit better than a full size humbucker typically would, but the flip side is it’s not quite the same sound. They do pick up harmonics well and are very quiet even with a lot of gain, but they don’t cover the same amount of area under the strings so will never sound quite the same.

I’ve been down this rabbit hole and ended up sticking with single coils and having other guitars for other sounds. 

I think HSS or even just HS would be my preference if I only used one guitar and I played songs that would benefit from a kick from a louder bridge pickup at certain parts.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    Thanks for the advice so far guys. The strat is a US Elite which is routed for full size humbuckers by default i think. 
    The least hassle seems to be a single coil size - would that mean i could use the same pots and just solder in the replacement pickup? 
    Then i don’t need to chase down a new pick guard. 
    @musteatbrain drop me a pm with the details?
    i have a couple of other bridge humbucker guitars but absolutely love this strat so want to try it with a bit more beef in the bridge
  • Yup just put it in with the hot and earth in the same place as the ones you pull out
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited March 2021
    @BlueStrat before you embark on this, have you played an equivalent usa HSS Strat and does it broadly give you the sound you are looking for?

I had a Fender Sienna Sunburst Ash HSS S1 Strat c10 years ago for a while which in hindsight, I wish I had kept long term. Playing back to back against a LP Standard and Cu 22, they all had their own tone, there is a substantive difference. 

You can also achieve a nice rock/distorted tone just using hotter single coils and the right fx+eq pedals. 

Want a cheap but good single coil sized humbucker to try then iron gear punch well above their weight and price. 

https://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_077.htm

My favourite is the Seymour Duncan Little 59 Strat HB in a sss pickguard strat. Jeff Beck Jrs are also good, diff tone and a bit hotter. 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/seymour-duncan-sl59-1b-little-59-strat-white-hum-canc-1611205-22w?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrsGCBhD1ARIsALILBYqIWP6n7CacO9wMRVlw85IufvHVkANAWGHTCM5-NRH9COKsiwXl0LIaAiuSEALw_wcB

If you want to go to a full sized humbucker then there is too much choice and personal preference really. Pole spacing can matter though. I like the seymour duncan tb-14 custom 5 trembucker in a strat for that reason. 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/seymour-duncan-custom-5-trembucker-in-black

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/custom-5

You won't achieve a Gibson/PRS c22 (other brands also apply) rock tone/sound though, no matter what you do as this relies on the guitars construction not just pickups.

To be clear, this doesn't mean you won't achieve the tone you want in the Strat, it's just different.

I solved this problem by having a full spectrum of SSS, HSS, HSH, HH, H guitars. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Try this first... it’s free and easily reversed...

It’ll give you a pseudo humbucker in both neck and bridge in addition you get to keep the stock settings....
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    I've never been happy on the balance between pickups on an SSH
    I'd prefer  S S P90
    or overwound SS + a HB

First thing to try is a hot rails or SC-size HB

Or to fit a mid-range boost and keep your SSS
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7426
    Ive put a low ish output PAF (Suhr Thornbucker) in my strat bridge position using the S1 switch to reduce one humbucker coil output to earth via a resistor (thats the method PRS use for "coil tapping") to give a lower output mostly noise reducing option. Works well for my needs.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    @mrkb funny you mention the Suhr Thornbucker as that was the one I liked the sound of on a few YouTube demos last night.
    Until I can source a HSS scratchplate (maybe a custom made one?)  and get a professional installation with a mini toggle and S1,  a good starting point would be the SC-sized himbuckers you guys have recommended - some knowledge guys here :)

Anyone have a soldering iron recommendation?