TV recommendations for my mother!

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
My mother is looking for her first new TV in about 15 years.

She wants 32 inch, the usual smart stuff for Prime / Netflix etc etc and has a budget of £300.

Can anyone recommend any?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Have a look at the Richer Sounds website, they have good deals.

Try the hotukdeals website as well, maybe set up an alert
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Go bigger. She won’t think she wants to, but will realise the benefit after a few days viewing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    LG TVs have the easiest to use smart features.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Roland said:
    Go bigger. She won’t think she wants to, but will realise the benefit after a few days viewing.
    It's a tiny cottage. 32 is the max size that will fit in the space.

The room is tiny - she won't ever be more than 8-10 feet away from it!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Another vote for LG.

Decent screens, decent features, easy to use. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Another LG vote from me. Decent screens, well priced, excellent apps and support. Also agree go bigger than 32 - with tiny bevels a larger screen doesn’t equate to the size of TVs from yesteryear! 40 inch will be so much better. 

Here’s a 43” smart LG just within budget 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9407051

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Chuffola said:
    Another LG vote from me. Decent screens, well priced, excellent apps and support. Also agree go bigger than 32 - with tiny bevels a larger screen doesn’t equate to the size of TVs from yesteryear! 40 inch will be so much better. 

Here’s a 43” smart LG just within budget 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9407051

It still won't fit. There's a chimney breast in the way.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Sorry to disagree with all you LG'ers but we got a 55inch smart TV after previously having Samsung. It's lucky it's never had a hammer through its screen. The remote is so slow and the programme guide is poor compared to Samsung. We got it from Richer sounds because of the 6 year guarantee. I'd done my research beforehand and went fully intending to get a Samsung but the salesman talked us into getting this LG because he said it was more up to date. Wouldn't have another.   
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I usually go with LG- there are 4 in our house, but last month I also needed to replace a very old 32 inch LG with a similar size for a bedroom.  Ended up with a Sharp - £175.  Its a really good telly.  All the features I would want and a few I dont need ( its connected to Sky Q which provides all the content I need).  I did look at LG and Samsung, but couldn't find one small enough to fit the limited space.   

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026

It still won't fit. There's a chimney breast in the way.
    That is a very pertinent requirement! I'd still go LG - I have a 32 inch in the bedroom and its kept right up to date with apps etc whereas our main TV, a Samsung, isn't. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    £250 from RS

My mum's got one in her kitchen and it has a great picture and has the relevant specs. The problem with 32" TVs is that they're not a significant seller for any manufacturer and so it's not where the money goes; you might find the wifi is not the greatest on these TVs for example. 55" is where they concentrate their R&D and you get the best value for money. A bit of feng shui may be in order if TV watching is a significant part of your mum's spare time.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    ronnyb said:
    Sorry to disagree with all you LG'ers but we got a 55inch smart TV after previously having Samsung. It's lucky it's never had a hammer through its screen. The remote is so slow and the programme guide is poor compared to Samsung. We got it from Richer sounds because of the 6 year guarantee. I'd done my research beforehand and went fully intending to get a Samsung but the salesman talked us into getting this LG because he said it was more up to date. Wouldn't have another.   
    Same thing almost happened to me, but I said “no thanks” & walked out. The Samsung is still going strong 7 years later!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    With this sort of tech I go used. People seem to ditch perfectly good stuff for no money just to get the next “best” thing. I’d consider a non-smart TV and some streaming device, and save yourself some money in the process.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    edited March 2021
    Last yeah I got my mum who’s now 76 a new TV it’s a 42” LG thing and it’s really impressive. 
    She thought she wanted 32” but didn’t realise modern TVs have thinner bevels etc and she likes the size of the text on screen. The smart features are easy to use for her also. It was like £299 from curry’s I think 

I got a Samsung 32” for one of the rooms in my house at the same time and it’s shit.  The smart features crash all the time and the device is just laggy like crazy. I got mad at it in the end and chucked it out the window. 

but don’t use curry’s as their arseholes. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    Roland said:

This advice applies to televisions, penis enlargements, and pedalboards. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom